Tips for trips to the Great Barrier


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
December 17th 2009
Published: December 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Probably one of, if not the greatest, main attraction of Cairns and of the regions nearby would be the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Listed as a World Heritage site, it boasts a whooping 2300km length that runs across the northeast coast across Queensland down to its tip in Bundaberg. No Australian vacation is complete without taking a dip into this marvelous wonder of nature.

The entire reef is considered a National Marine Park, and is protected by law. The reef has been mapped to protect visitors from hidden dangers, like dangerous times of the year when blooms of jellyfishes appear. Or maybe when the currents in that particular area become strong and can be considered dangerous for park goers.

Visitors, when going to the reef, will have to pay a fee called a "reef tax". It will be used by the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service to help pay for the continuous effort in protecting and preserving the Great Barrier Reef. The cost is usually included in your reef trip receipts, so check it first to avoid hassling hidden costs.

No age groups are restricted from entering the Great Barrier Reef. Babies and toddlers, while allowed in the ship will, of course, have to stay on the ship. Probably the same could be said for people with heart conditions and pregnant women as well. Those with mobility issues need not worry, a special number of companies can also cater to their needs in order to make the trip a fulfilling one.

The Aussie sun is intense for those not living in the tropics. Bring a good amount of sunscreen, sun protection, towels and all the necessary precautions from deadly UV rays.

Of course, to finish your Great Barrier reef, drive a campervan up north and visit the crocodile farms to put the icing on the cake on your Great Barrier reef trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb