Cairns...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
November 16th 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a very early start, a tram, a bus, a plane and then another bus we arrived at Gilligans backpackers in Cairns. As soon as we got off of the plane the heat hit us and I immediately regretted wearing trousers on the flight, it was 33 degrees (much hotter than Melbourne). This was the sort of weather I expected from an Australian summer.

Our accommodation wasn’t exactly what we were expecting as it was about 50 times bigger than the hostel we had come from, it had a nightclub within the hostel, but on the plus side it was quite new and the rooms and facilities were all really nice and really clean (Something I definitely couldn’t say about the Drop Bear Inn in Melbourne) We’d already paid for our accommodation in Cairns so I managed to not spend too much because although I haven’t mentioned it before AUSTRALIA IS SO EXPENSIVE!!! Also in our hostel the price you pay includes a free dinner which was pretty much what you would expect to get for free in a hostel… a very cheap bowl of something pretty disgusting (Which usually involves smash and gravy/sauce with a strange taste we can’t really put our finger on)

Cairns is a great place and we have spent most of our time here relaxing around the lagoon which is a massive outdoor public pool. The reason why we weren’t at the beach is because apparently it is stinger season which means you shouldn’t really swim in the sea unless you are a fan of jellyfish, but the lagoon is right next to the sea. We’ve met a few friends along the way in Cairns as we shared in 8 bed dorm so it has been good spending time with them too. During our 5 nights in Cairns we had 4 English, 2 Canadian, 2 German and 1 Chinese roommate which has been very interesting. I’d definitely recommend Cairns to anyone as half of it is very much a party town with lots going on and loads and loads of young people and the other half near the marina is full of really nice hotels with lots of nice bars and restaurants with great views over the marina (which I definitely can’t afford to go to) Overall Cairns gets a big thumbs up from me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb