Paronella Park, Cairns and Kuranda experience - summary of Cairns region


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
August 13th 2011
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, 11 August 2011

Along the Canecutter’s Way lies an interesting tourist trap called Paronella Park. The Park came highly recommended by friends and by RACQ (as No. 1 Must-Do in Qld). As we drove in the car park, we were greeted by Mark, the owner of Paronella Park. He did a great sell job to get us in the door.

Paronella Park was one Spaniard’s dream of creating a castle next to the spectacular waterfall at Mena Creek. This was the scene of many parties and recreational activities in the 1930’s, 40’s, and 50’s. I would have loved to see it at it’s height of activity and celebrations. It would also have been a great place to woo a woman in those days, or play in a jazz band.

Alas, many cyclones and years of neglect have found the place in a state of disrepair, which adds to the charm. If I were to go back, I’d make sure I stayed in the attached caravan park, and stay for the night tour. One final interesting fact is that Lego are very interested in making it into a set alongside the Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House as part of it’s Landmark Series.

Later that afternoon we drove into Cairns, and drove into the Big4 Crystal Cascades Caravan Park. This park is located on the Western side of the city and is fantastically quiet – and half the price of the famous Coconut resort.

It was also the first place we erected the annexe as part of the caravan. The extra space allowed for a quiet respite from family members!

Song of day : In the Mood by Glenn Miller

Game of the day : What would this place look like in it’s heyday?

Friday, 12 August 2011
Another day, another waterfall, another lagoon, another playground, another market…

The Crystal Cascades are the major source of fresh water for Cairns as the waters tumble down the steeps. I wonder if anyone has been brave enough to kayak down these rapids and rockpools?

Into the city to check out the lagoon. Much of Cairns City is dedicated to backpackers and resort goers. The lagoon was surrounded by hundreds of backpackers in various states of undress. It was similar to being in London’s Hyde Park in the height of summer. The shops were half deserted and seemed to be operating at half speed – again victims of the high Australian dollar. The highlight though was Muddy’s Playground – a playground and water park on the foreshore that had the boys running, making music, and adventuring for a long time.

Song of the Day : Waterfalls by Salt n Pepa
Game of the day : Spotto – How many Yellow cars can you spot?

Saturday, 13 August 2011
Kuranda Experience

I didn’t know what to expect on this Railway / Skyway journey, but am glad to have experienced it all the same.

We started the day early driving to Freshwater station to board the Kuranda scenic Railway. This train trip was full of engineering facts and tales of bravado by the railway workers, coupled with breathtaking scenery. A nice older couple sat in our booth on the train. As we disembarked, the gentleman pulled me aside and told me how proud he was to see such well behaved children. He said, “These boys are a credit to their parents.”

Kuranda is a market town where bohemian artisans meet indigenous flavour, mixed with family businesses. It was much cooler than Cairns. Sitting in the central park eating noodles was a truly pleasant way to spend time. Toby spent his pocket money on a bird whistle.

Heading back down the mountain, we took the Skyrail. The sky buckets skimmed the canopy of the rainforest and we were able to get a greater understanding of the layers in the rainforest. It seemed rather poignant that we arrived back at Caravonica station (especially since we've been living in a caravan).

To complete the trip we took a bus back to Freshwater station and a quick drive back to our cosy caravan. Toby took great delight in testing his bird whistle. I found him sitting by the pool testing if it sounded better filled with chlorinated water, or normal drinking water.

Song of the Day : Boys of Summer by Don Henley
Game of the Day : What type of tree is that?



Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb