East Coast v West Coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 21st 2009
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello hippie camperHello hippie camperHello hippie camper

Goodbye Britz camper
Having returned our campervan in Alice Springs and sold all of our camping stuff (tent, sleeping bag, chairs etc) we had taken an internal flight over to Cairns. We booked into a hostel and instantly regretted it!! Not sure if we were just missing the freedom and privacy of our campervan or whether we just didn’t like being kept awake until 3am in the morning by the group of young people playing drinking games below our window. Was this what we had in store on the east coast? Ever get the feeling you’re 20 years too late for something??
As we stolled along the esplanade in Cairns we were struck by what a young town this was- the people that is! The average age must have been 22!! The crocodile warnings along the esplanade were a little offputting but the town itself had a very laid back vibe to it and once we reached the swimming “lagoon” that was on the beachfront we were able to relax and have a bit of chillout time. As we walked up into the town we both started to discuss hiring a campervan again. We realised that the hostels on the east coast were probably going to be full on partying all the time (ie little sleep for us) We’d enjoyed the campervan so much with the freedom it had given us that there was only one decision...which company to use? In the end the cheapest option was a “Hippie camper”. Very different to our hi top britz van- not only is layout different (will have to cook out the back on a potable gas stove) but its also a bit smaller and clunkier to drive. However, we have our freedom again which is the main thing!
Having booked into Cairns caravan park(no free camping nearby) we spend time chiiling and using the pool. Met a guy from Byron Bay who we end up chatting to over dinner and then have fun trying to put our bed up in the van. Crash out and discover the most annoying thing in this van- a lack of mossie nets over the windows- a very hot and stuffy night and both bitten to death!
From Cairns we decided to head up the coastal highway. This in itself was really weird seeing the roadsigns giving travelling distances of 30km, 76km or at the most 126km. We had been used to seeing signs showing distances of 300, 400 even 600km!! Following the long, winding road up into the hills we drive up to Karunda Village which lies in the midst of the wet tropics rainforest. The village is very quaint but totally geared towards the tourists that flock off the skyrail here. We drive over to Barron Gorge National Park, part of the wet tropics world heritage area and stop at the Barron Falls. This is a marvellous waterfall created by two dams at the top of the Barron River. We walk along the walkway through the forest treetops which has lots of rich lush vegetation, huge trees and lots of hanging vines, stopping at the Wright lookout point to take in the views on the way. We decide to stay the night in the area so head over to the Speewah campground where we park up with another two campervans for the night.
The following morning we head over to Mareeba, making a stop to do some wine tasting en route at de Brueys winery which specialises in fruit based wine(wild cherry wine, passionfruit wine etc) and Golden Drop winery, specialising in mango wine. We continue to pass through small towns and find that other drivers do not acknowledge you like on the west coast- I suppose there is far more traffic here perhaps? We reach Mossman and stop to grab some provisions before heading onwards.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb