Roadtrip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 2nd 2009
Published: October 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

IT'S A ROAD-TRIP

after some days in cairns we decided to hire a car for a few days as we got some tips from some locals and there are no buses to this places and if there are they are more expensive for one thn to hire a car really.

so we had an old toyota for 55$ a day so 11$ each not too bad really (11 aud are like 6,5 euro and petrol is just half the price thn in europe). sam is welsh so he is used to driving at the left so i was just a bit driving at the last day at some lonley roads so he could see some things. we started at wednesday and we were heading north. we wanted to go to hartleys crocodile farm first but just had to stop before. some volleyball people told me that the street from cairns to port dougles is one of the most beautiful roads in oz. the beaches up there were so nice we stoped at one and it was really more like being in a film. i was thinking that a lot in the last days to be honest. palm trees blue water and sky white beaches and so nice warm. it was amzing. you can guess from the photos. we didnt stay too long though as we wanted to get to hartleys. 28$ to get in but we hurt it is worth it and it really was. they done lots of shows/tours with everyone so they told you lots about crocs. the 28$ included a boat trip and they were feeding the crocs close to the boat so they jumed up. it was really impressive. the crocs you see on the photos are between 3 and 5 meters btw. you dont want to go swimming with them though....


it was hard to stay not for too long as we wanted to see more. another tip from the volleyball guys (it is in the lonely planet as well though) mossman gorge. it is a gorge in the rainforest. the main place where a bit crowded but we just walked about 500 meter over the round shaped stones and you could see or here other people. it was an amzing place. one of 2 most beautiful i have been so far. i cant decide which was nicer really. the crystal clear cold water was so nice and rainforest around you with all the colourful birds and butterflys. on the way to the gorge we saw a "Macleay's water snake" well we think tht it was it was but it scared us a bit as most of the snake here could kill you. this one cant though the venomous is not strong enough. after we had a picnic and lot of swimming (yes you can go swimming here. as the water is comming down from the mointains and it is too cold for crocs. we went for a short visit to port dougles and thn back to home. and in cairns party of course. not too much though as we wanted to use the car the next morning. and it is hard here not to party too much. it was a really great day.


next morning everyone a bit tired and now we went south. we wanted to see some waterfalls and the tableland (it is really different but so great). the tableland is basicly the highland south-west of cairns and it is a few degrees colder so tht was nice anyway. we already booked a hostel in innisfail and wanted to stay the night there. the first stop was babinda boulders. another gorge in the rainforest. still nice but not as mossman gorge. so we didnt stay long and went into babinda to get a picnic for later. next stop josephine falls. the first waterfall in oz. it was really nice. when i have been there i was really impressed but i must say now we have been to nicer ones special coz here where some other people as well though. in wet season it must be even nicer though. we had our chicken and swimming and stayed quited long. after tht we wanted to go to the nandroya falls but when we got there it was already half 4 and it gets dark at 6. and it gets dark very quick as we are so close to the equator. as it was an 2,4 km walk we decided to to it the next day. we went to crawfords lookout. you have a great view down in a valley. then we went into a road where a signe said "misty mountains" and we hoped to find a nice sport. bit mistake never go there if you are ever here. it was an adventure as the road stoped to be a road but yeah just rainforest really nothing else. so we went to innisfail. we were all really tired. the hostel wasnt the nicest one but it was alright for one night. we just a had lots of food and thn went to bed.

on thursday we got up a bit later as we wanted to but it was ok so we were at northfolk lookout at 10.30. well at the start of the track. it was 1,7 km walk thourgh the rainforest on a very small path. looked really nice. another really great view in a valley with a river and rainforest. but it worth walking down there. we just started our way back when i heard something move close to my feet. a brown snake. it was about 0,5 meter away but as it tried to be loud (so the snakes have time to go away and hide) it was already moving away from me. i was still glad i had propper boots with me because they protect you as 80% of the bites go to your feet or ankle. something about the brown snake (from wiki
fresh water crocfresh water crocfresh water croc

they say not dangerous?!?!?!
but yeah you get the point):

"The Eastern Brown Snake is the second most venomous land snake in the world after the Inland Taipan. Their venom is very toxic, and can be fatal; even juveniles have caused human fatalities." btw mum yes i am being careful that is why it didnt bite me. and the risk to get bitten is very low anyway. it more likely that i die by a coconut dropping from a tree. so i will still go in rainforest and stuff. lol

after we went up the hill back to the car. all still kind of shocked and amazed by the snake we left to go to the nandroya falls. we heard from the locals they are the nicest. another 2,4 km walk through the rainforest passing the silver falls. and then the nandoya falls. aboslute amzing. i do think the nicest i ever been in my life. (mossman gorge was really good as well but just a bit different). it looked like a photo in a book where you think yeah nice place but a lot of photoshop as well. and we were alone. noboby around and just us 5 at this amzing place. swimming under the waterfalls and having a picnic. it was a bit like a dream really. after 2 hrs i we left because we wanted to see the milamila falls. just because they are so famous. they were nice but the nature wasnt as nice because there were stones so you could get in the water and other people and you just drove there got out of the car and there they were. nandroya you had to walk more thn 2km through the rainforest. so much nicer.

it already late and we wanted to drive back through the tableland we knew that would take some time. i drove there. it was an amzing area quite odd sometimes how rainforest, banas, grass changed. we saw some bushfires. tht is the reason why the mountains looked a bit like in dust the last days but it is getting better and today you have a really good view. last night party again thn. but i had to get up early as i already opend a bank acount and had to bring the car back. oh and we got into a different hostel up here. not as nice as njoy but cheaper really so we are staying there now as it isnt too bad.


i decided to buy a car here just because it will be so much cheaper to sleep in a van or big car and you can see so much more. you cant go to the really nice places by bus. and i already found 2 guys i might buy it with though. so i will be a few more days in cairns to go to the reef and sort everything out...


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



2nd October 2009

Waterfalls
Nandroya is a local secret, glad you found it. Like the right people to share our special spots, no mass tourism please!
2nd October 2009

awesome
Hey Zwergnase! Wow, die Fotos sind echt super! Bin ganz neidisch - FERNWEH!!!! Hier in Ddorf regnets bei 10° --> bähhh Fahre morgen ins Sauerland und mische erstmal unsere Ellies auf, bevor es denen ohne Kinder langweilig wird ;) So, Mittagspause ist zu Ende... Drück dich Leonie
2nd October 2009

Amazing!
Wow, you found some good spots there, beautiful and deserted! What more could you ask for? I like the crocs, though I bet they get annoyed with all the moss covering them, poor things. :-P
2nd October 2009

Sounds like it's AWESOME. I'm not jealous at all :p If you have to die, please die by coconut :D xxx

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb