Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
June 8th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A-OK!A-OK!A-OK!

Ben at the Great Barrier Reef!
Our last stop in Australia was Cairns, up in Northern Queensland. We noticed this mainly due to the high mileage we had covered in the bus and the increasingly patriotic support for the second 'State of Origin' Rugby League game when it came on telly.

Cairns is not a small town, but unfortunately for us the Lagoon was closed for the duration of our stay. With most of the town focussing on Sugar Cane production ect there was little else to do for more than a few days. One highlight though was a boat trip out into the heart of the Great Barrier Reef - the largest reef in the world!

The sea was extremely choppy and the majority of passengers were to be found looking rather green and hanging off the back of the boat. We managed to contain our breakfast for the entire journey (including second and third protions of the huge lunch buffet we were served, including massive whole prawns which we really went to town on!).

Our first snorkel (or free-dive) was at Michaelmas Cay - an island far off the mainland coast, half of which is a breeding colony for birds, the other
Job's a good'n!Job's a good'n!Job's a good'n!

Liam gives the all clear deep below the surface!
half serves as a launch pad for backpackers and other tourists to enter the sea and experience the underwater world of the reef. The second dive site was way out at sea, literally in the middle of nowhere, and although a little rougher it showed us different forms of coral and fish. Both were brilliant dives, probably better than that we'd done at the Whitsundays due to the emerging sun that radiated through the water in amazing rays of light.

The photos don't really shone the awesome array of colours on display under the sea, but are still worth a look! Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Fringe CoralFringe Coral
Fringe Coral

How pretty...!!
ClamClam
Clam

Unbelievable, but it's as big as a human!
Huge FishHuge Fish
Huge Fish

One of many huuuuge fish...!!!
CoralCoral
Coral

The photos just don't do the amazing colours justice!
FishFish
Fish

They were all soooo bright!
SurfacingSurfacing
Surfacing

Some wierd life-forms also existed above the surface!
WrasseWrasse
Wrasse

Huge Wrasse near the bottom!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb