Scuba check complete!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 21st 2005
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone!

Beth has once again given me the go ahead of taking over the blog. Ok, I think where we last left off was we were going to the opera house for a syphony. The syphony was really a cool thing to see, we saw it in the concert hall of the opera house. The opera house actually has 4 different places where they have different events. A concert hall, opera house, drama theatre and playhouse. The concert hall is the biggest one which when you look at the opera house it is to the left (I think), anyway they played stuff from Beethoven to Elvis. So it was pretty cool to see and hear them play. The next day we went to Bondi beach and kinda took the day off and just hung around, it was actually kinda cold at the beach so we didn't dare go into the water without a wet suit on.

The next day we flew up to Cairns and stayed at Captain cooks backpackers. The hostel sucked so we only stayed one night, we went to the place where Beth stayed at before called the Clypso Backpackers and the place is very fun and upbeat, so we decided to stay there for a few days and check out Cairns for a while.

In Cairns is where we booked our Scuba trip. We actually booked the trip right at our hostel. We talked to the guy for a while about different boats and trips and so forth and we narrowed it down to two different boats, one boat was quite a bit cheaper and was 2 nights on the boat with 8 dives total. The other expensive one was 4 days 3 nights with 10 dives. So we went back and forth about which one to go on. So then we said screw it, let's do the big one. We booked the expensive one and said forget the budget. Well here we are on a 3.5 million dollar boat (6 months old) plasma tv's and everyother gadget possible. It was unreal we felt rich for once and I'm not gonna lie it was great. We boarded the boat around 4pm and headed up the eastern coast of Austrlia all night long, we arrived at our dive site at about 6am, and we were in the water by 7:15am for our first dive. By the way you could not see land at all! Your first dive on a big dive trip is kinda nerve racking untill you decend down to the bottom, it's such a different feeling breathing under the water 75 feet deep looking at fish. We did 3 day dives and one night dive! The night dive was very nerve racking for us, Beth has done one night dive and I haven't. I just didn't like the feeling of jumping into pitch blackness with only a stupid flashlight (tourch as they call it) and just pointing the flashlight at stuff and looking and not being able to see anything around you. But after the dive it was a great accomplishment to have that done with. On the dives that day we saw, tons of beautiful coral, huge swarms of fish, White tip sharks, eels, rock fish starfish, and giant cod. One dive of that day was a cod feed and this 5 foot 50 year old cod lives in this certain area and they feed him once a week with divers, so you can pet him and he dosen't care. We swam through Beth and I a few times so we touched him a lot. The next day we did 4 more day dives and one more night dive. We saw more coral, more white tip sharks, and of course Nemo. The second night dive went way better and was way more relaxed for us. We went with an instructor on this dive and he showed us this huge starfish hiding under the coral which was amazing. I could go on and on about what we saw on all these dives, scuba diving is becoming more and more of a passion for us. They say that you can see more wildlife in one 50 minute scuba dive than you can see living in the amazon jungle for 3 full days!! The next day (today) we did 2 more morning dives farther south down the coast and then we went full throttle back to cairns and finally after 4 days stepped foot on land again.

Now we are here in the internet cafe once again, and we are leaving for Magnet Island tomorrow morning for some fun in the sun and snorkleing (can't get enough of that water). So we are still somehow keeping busy. Hope everything is well and I didn't screw up to many words, there is no spell check on these blogs.

hope everyone is doing well at home and hope to hear from you soon!

Justin and Beth

Advertisement



21st October 2005

Day Off
Well I am sure glad you two took a day off at the beach. You really needed it. Meanwhile I am still here in the god foresakken flat hell called North Dakota. Hugs and Kisses anyway...
21st October 2005

G'Day Mates!!!
Hey, sounds like you guys are having a ton of fun. Shanna and I say thanks for checking out OUR little Max blog while you're away. That was very nice of you. Catch you on the Flipside. Jay
24th October 2005

goodonya mates
Congrats, Barth - you made it through your Opera House experience! Wyatt fell asleep half-way though ours... If you happen to visit Geelong, Victoria, say "HI" to our friends at "Rockin on Ryrie" (50's-style restaurant) from us. Thanks for all of the great blogs! jami

Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb