Out of our depth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 1st 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok, we are off to Bali tomorrow after spending about 5 weeks here, and it has flown by, unlike some countires we are actually sad to be leaving, although the price of living in Asia seems quite appealing at the moment (the budget went out the window about 4.5 weeks ago).

We ended our time here on a high, firstly visting Cape Tribulation, which is basically a rainforest north of Cairns. We had a walk through it and then went on a river cruise to see some crocs, we saw one. Although it was quite a big one about 4 metres in length, I think even Mr Irwin would have left him alone.

The hostel where we stayed was near the beach, however we were put off any swimming by a couple of straight to the point signposts. The next day we did risk a swim but only in the river.

That brings me on nicely to what we did today. We got up before 7 (for the 3rd morning in a row, WHAT the hell is the world coming to when I have to get up before 7am THREE days in a row) and made our way down to the marina where we were catching our boat out to the Great Barrier Reef. We unexpectantly got upgraded, so instead of 60 people on the boat there were only 20, and we got a hot lunch, result.

The diving was amazing, the pictures do it much better justice than I can. We got to swim with a Wrass (which was almost as big as me), and there were turtles everywhere (Cat got to stroke one), but my personal favourite bit was when we swam around the corner of a reef to find 2 White Tipped Reef Sharks lurking. It was a bit scary initally but the guide didn't seem bothered so we just swam at them and took some photos, I could definitely have beaten them in a fight.

We have done no planning at all for Bali, I could not tell you the currency there, the time difference from the motherland, the language they speak and would probably fail to point it out on a map. But in a strange way that makes it more fun, back to the way it was in South America, it's been too easy to travel over here, the hostels pick you up off the bus and cater for your every need, I'm looking forward to being dropped off somewhere in the middle of the night and having to renegade it (although it has been nice to travel without having to remember to bring our own toilet paper).

It should be a challenge and I'm sure it will be fun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



1st October 2007

Its a tough life!
6th October 2007

Wow looking good there! If your going to Vietnam or Thailand check out Chris's website for some ideas of what to do /where to go (Vietnam was amazing!) www.chrisgreenwood.co.uk

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb