The greatest driving road..... in the world.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Northern Beaches
July 25th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yes in true Top Gear challenge fashion, I have found the two greatest driving roads in the Australia, at least. Not in a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Aston Martin, but a knackered ten year old Ford Futra stationwagon, with the most dim-witted automatic gearbox possible. From humble beginnings etc... From our rest-stop at Saunders bins, we continued north up past Cairns, to the only free campsite in north Queensland called Rifle Creek. To get there involves driving up the Captain Cook Highway as far as Port Douglas, but the fun bit is the 28km of World Heritage section of the highway. It combines the tight twists and turns with the most stunning coastline you can imagine, twice as good at sunset.

The second amazing road was the mountain road from Port Douglas to Rifle Creek. It's mainly uphill with hundreds of crests and dips, like chocolate sauce drizzled around soft ice-cream. The going is hard and quite technical, and although there isn't the same amazing view all the way along the road as with the Cook Highway, there are a few lay-bys up the mountains with vantage points over the valley below leading down to the ocean. They're also quite handy for letting your engine and brakes cool off...



Drive Safely

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb