Gympie/Tiaro/Maryborough/Bundaberg


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bundaberg
September 13th 2012
Published: September 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


MaryboroughMaryboroughMaryborough

Me and Mary Poppins! Supercallafragilisticexpiallidotious. Or something like that!
At Rainbow beach we stayed in a national park camping area so that we could just hop on the tour bus to Fraser Island the next day. We took in some of the local sights at Rainbow beach including an absolutely amazing sand dune that made my calf muscles cry out in pain by the time I had walked from one side to the other! The trip to Fraser is definitely recommended especially on a one day tour on a special 4wd bus. With no recent rain so many many 4wd's were bogged in the sand and glad we were not one of them. Our bus just never faultered. Fantastic beach and bush walk, beautiful lakes and informative commentary. Pete even had a close encounter with a snake in the men's toilet! Saw dingos on the beach and then another huge snake in the middle of the track with several of us females screaming when it moved suddenly!

Friends in Gympie made us very welcome for the night and after a top up of water we moved on north to freedom camp at yet another rest area but this time by a beautiful river.

Next stop was Maryborough where
Rainbow BeachRainbow BeachRainbow Beach

Huge Sandune
we joined the free guided tour of this historical port town. Catch my photo next to the Mary Poppin's statue in front of the house where the author was born.

Lastly we headed out to Elliot Heads, a suburb of Bundaberg to stay with Bev, a cousin of our friend in Cornubia who again made us so welcome. We finally were able to unhitch the bikes and go for a long bike ride. All went well until the magpies decided to attack me on 3 separate occasions. Not funny as I had already seen a guy with a bloody nose after an encounter with one so I was pretty scared to put it mildly. Pete was a fat lot of good as the magpies were hell bent on dive bombing me. Today we went on a different route and all was fine until we pulled into the drive here when I was attacked again. I have seen guys with a dozen cable ties attached to their helmets sticking up in all directions looking pretty stupid to avoid these attacks but I will definitely be joining them stupid or not!

Did the tour of the Bundaberg rum factory also
Fraser IslandFraser IslandFraser Island

Pete on the beautiful 75 mile sandy beach
today which was very interesting along with 2 free samples at the end of the tour. Seeing as it was 12.00 mid day and with the stomach by then empty we were very convivial with our fellow tourists and stayed perhaps longer than was expected in the bar! Even bought a bottle of Bundaberg liqueur that can be diluted with milk!

Off tomorrow to the town of 1770 where Captain Cook landed in guess what year!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Shipwreck
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Snake on track
FraserFraser
Fraser

Trail mark on tree made by ants!
FraserFraser
Fraser

Sand trail through bush
FraserFraser
Fraser

Our transport


13th September 2012

Hi Suzanne Well you are certainly getting around, my son once got attack by a magpie on the Gold Coast and we were then told if we wear a hat and/or sunnies they normally don't attack. Poor boy had just taken his hat off. What viscious birds they are. Never been to Fraser Is but have been told it is a must to see. We are having cold winds at the moment that go right into your bones and frosts for the past few mornings and thought of you in the warm climate. Well I learnt something today did not know the writer of Mary Poppins was an Australian, good photo. Until next time Lynley

Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb