Sea Turtles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bundaberg
February 16th 2007
Published: March 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were told about this place from people we met up the east coast so decided to check it out. We headed up there from Hervey Bay and that night was booked onto the tour to go down the beach and watch sea turtle hatchlings coming out of the sand and try to make their way to the water.

Well we got lucky that night as there are no garentees how long you will have to wait to see something. We were pretty much straight out there watching a big sea turtle laying her eggs in the sand, after she popped out 130 eggs she covered them up and slowly made her way back to the sea where she would continue on her life as normal never to return back to see her babies!

We had to help the rangers move these 130 eggs to a safer place as where she had laid them was to close to the water and as bad weather was forcasted the eggs could easily be swept away from there. so he dug them up pulled them out and showed us how to hold them carefully, so the group formed a line and each was given a handful of eggs to move to the other side.

Later on we watched as other little hatchings popped out and some of us with torches helped guide them to the sea. I was one of the helpers as I volunteered myself cos I had a tourch. Was so funny watching these little things pass through my legs.

Not all will make it to adulthood but at least I can say I helped them have a chance out in the big wide world!

That was a cool experiance the next day we was back on the road, next stop Airlie Beach.
El.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



3rd March 2007

Well done
I am pleased for you that you got there at the right time. And that you can be proud to have given a chance to these little fellows. No not many make it. We went to a turtle sanctuary in Brazil but at the wrong time. I think it is nice to be iinvolved and feel that you are participating to something quite unique.
20th March 2007

No Green Goo?!
If they ain't mutated i don't want to know about it!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb