Part 12: Crikey! Byron Bay!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
November 4th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately it was too cold to go to Noosa this morning, so we decided to skip it. Instead mates, it's off to the Steve Irwin Zoo, just outside of Brisbane. Crikey!



The zoo was very cool. We saw many different animals. Alison's favorite...koalas. She has made it her mission to save the koalas and she plans to keep one as a pet within the next few years. Seriously, I cannot overstate how much Alison loves koalas now. Just mention the word koala to Alison and she will gush and more likely than not start crying. I'm not joking. We got to pet a few koalas, only one waking up long enough to register shock that a stranger was rubbing his rump.



We got a chance to feed kangaroos...it was cool...but I gotta say they are some lazy bastards. I don't know if it's because they live in a zoo, but they just lay there sunning themselves and will rarely lift themselves off the ground as you feed them...you have to hold the food directly under their nose. Wild roos are probably a ;little more frisky. Though I did see one zoo roo essentially punch a little girl for getting up in his grill (roo boxing is real folks).



We saw the crocodile show, which was pretty awesome. Afterwards we hit the road to get as far as we could and hopefully make it to Byron Bay before it was too late.



Arriving in Byron Bay was arriving in party central essentially. We got there on a Sunday night and it was straight bumping. We hit up a bar called Beach and it was busier than Lotus on a Saturday (and only half as sleazy). Alison was...overly-refreshed (our new term for wasted) and made quick friends with the bouncer. She decided she would help him bounce people, as he would not let her out of the bar area with her water. She took it upon herself, after leaving Beach, to speak on behalf of koalas everywhere. She lectured each and every person we walked past on koala welfare, particularly on not eating koala meat (not a thing in Australia, or anywhere else as koala meat tastes terrible from their eucalytpus diet). One bakery store worker screwed with her by saying she had most definitely eaten koala meat but that it was okay because "hey, it's just one". We went to bed with some major surfing plans for the morrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb