The Skyscrapers, The River and The Koala Time - Brisbane City


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
May 15th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So here were are ... our first time Down Under



We were so excited for this trip that we actually thought that the 26h travel time was very nice and quick. Maybe it was the Qantas airlines that made it so pleasurable or maybe we just already thought of all those things planned for us to do over there ;-) We had an overnight flight to Singapore that went in no time and then 4h to kill at the airport ,which to be honest, with all the shopping, feet massage machines, TV and game rooms, restaurants and botanical gardens were not even enough...

We got to Brisbane early in the morning and it was only 15C.... I thought it must be the winter time and for sure it will get better during the day... in the end it was sunny and beautiful with 25C each of the 3 days we spent in Brisbane ;-) They forecasted a bit of rain every day but it kind of never happened. So first thing we had to arrange was the airport transfer. As usually we looked for the most cost efficient way and airport information was just so helpful. We
Brisbane CityBrisbane CityBrisbane City

reflection of a skyscraper in another skyscraper
ended up taking the Coach Trans which worked 56$AUD return for both of us. Similar cost to the AirTrain but CoachTrans would drop us directly at the hotel doors and then pick us up from the hotel on a day of return. Just like a taxi but half price ;-)

We were staying in the Marque Hotel at George St., just 5 min walk from the high street area where all the shopping malls and restaurants are and maybe 10 min walk to the South Bank. This is where the Brisbane Eye, Art Galleries and cool restaurants are. We could not check in to our room because it was way too early, so we dropped our bags and we head to the street to explore ;-) It was Sunday and everything was closed till around 10-11 so we had to wander around for a bit until we finally sat down and had some breakfast and coffee. Our first impression when we got to the riverbank was that we are in central London.... such a similar scenery with the river, the Brisbane Eye (a bit smaller that London Eye), the restaurants and huge skyscrapers. But people were so different!!! Everybody so laidback, walking slowly around in their casual clothes....no fashion shows just comfortable yet branded sport outfits ;-) We really loved it ;-) By noon there was so much going on - people jogging or exercising everywhere, family fairs in the park, animal farms, children swimming in the pools by the river, people BBQ-ing in the park.... what a life!!!! ....if not this place being so far from Europe I can see people moving there in mass waives hahha It must have been the Sunday Blues - we though. But not much changed on Monday and Tuesday when people actually work. Maybe streets were busier with suited up people heading to/from work but the feel and the atmosphere remained unchanged ;-) This evening we were meeting our friends for dinner in one of the Southbank's restaurants so it was just a perfect ending to such a great day ;-)

Next day we had it planned to go and see the famous Australian Zoo. However our friends advised us to see the local Koala Sanctuary instead. They told us that Australian Zoo is very commercial and it is quite a journey (70km) away too. The only difference between the two places was the crocodile show, but we had it planned to take crocodile tour when in tropical north so decision was made. Getting to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary could not be easier - seriously ;-) You just have to take one of the buses from Queen Street (high street if you like), pay 4$ each and it takes you to the very door of the place. I thought it was brilliant and so convenient. You can get some saving on the entrance tickets by booking it with the information centre or if you are flying into Brisbane grab one of the city maps at the airport and you can get 15%!o(MISSING)ff the ticket. We ended up saving 13$ which almost covered the return bus ticket ;-) Every little helps when you are travelling on budget hahhah Our friends were 100%!r(MISSING)ight. This place is a paradise for animal lovers like us;-) Located in the forest, looks very natural and almost wild. If not some of the cages for birds, tasman devils and dingo dogs it would be one open enclosure ;-) We saw this funny thing when entering the park - one of the animal keepers was walking the dingo dog on the lead...and then they all sit in their big cages, wearing pink collars pretending to be wild hahhah I guess they were not bread in the wild ;-) So you can see the animals I already mentioned plus the very rare platypus, crocodiles and some big lizards, different types of snakes, emus, loads of other birds and of course koalas and kangaroos. There are koala hugging sessions (free to hug but chargeable for photos) and you can see them just sitting there randomly like stuffed animals all over the place ;-) They hardly move and when you hug them they are so soft and smell citrusy - all lovely and surreal to us ;-) You are also very welcome to feed any of the kangaroos in their big enclosure. We spent around 3h over there and we had the best time ;-)

We already knew that Tuesday night we would spend at our friends house so for this evening we planned to walk around the city and take some brilliant photos at night. Before doing that we decided to check Lonely Planet's recommended budget restaurant – Govinda’s, where for 12$ you can have great veggie food on the 'eat as much as you can' basis. Really great choice in the very centre of the city (considering that coffee and a muffin cost that much at any coffee shops) So, very pleased with food we headed through the city streets towards the famous Story Bridge. What a view at night!!!! The bridge and the surrounding skyscrapers all lighted up. We walked over the bridge and headed to the Kangaroo Point where the view over the city is supposed to be the best. It is also the place where people rock climb and were surprised to see them doing it in the darkness, but hey - why not?? At this point we had an option of either taking the River cats (very cheap river taxi - 2$-3$ one way) back to the Brisbane Eye or walk alongside the south bank again ;-) We decided to walk as it was brilliant evening and it took us around 3h to complete the route in the centre again. The city looks amazing at night and it is definitely worth it to take some time away from the restaurants and bars to do this;-)

Having seen most of the city by then, we decided to do a bit of culture next day. So after nice breakfast in one of the food courts (i.e. brilliant bakery in the Queens Street Mall serving hot buns with frankfurters, ham and cheese or just sweet with blueberries etc) we decided to see Roma Street Parkland. On the way we saw City Hall building, another brilliant example of mixing old and new architecture in Brisbane. The Parkland is just beautiful with all the tropical plants and trees, fountains and lake in the middle. One of the gardeners told us that some parts of the gardens were flooded back in January and they had to replant everything from the beginning but the effect is stunning. You can never tell it was destroyed ;-) After chilling out in the park we headed to the Art Galleries and Museum on the Southbank. They hold very interesting exhibitions (especially drawings of Brisbane and how it looked like 100 years ago) although the supposedly brilliant modern art gallery, GOMA, was mostly closed for renovation - so quite disappointing. We met another friend for lunch at the gallery cafe overlooking the river - great spot and really can recommend the place for food as well. After that we still had some time left for the Museum, which I found very fascinating. Not only there were animal exhibitions showing and educating about all these 'dangerous species' of animals but also they had an exhibition about early settlement of Australia and Aboriginal People. Finally something relatively old and historical ;-) What a great photo gallery from 19th century showing the empty land, mountains and wild nature back then.

Three days have gone very quickly but we have done and seen a lot ;-) Really liked this place and wish we could come back one day maybe just to chill out with other people in parks, have some cold bear and cook meet on the local BBQ ;-) That would be lovely...





Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

George StreetGeorge Street
George Street

Victoria Monument
The King George Square ChurchThe King George Square Church
The King George Square Church

great example of a mix of old and new architecture
The Famous Story BridgeThe Famous Story Bridge
The Famous Story Bridge

view from the City
Brisbane CityBrisbane City
Brisbane City

view from the Story Bridge
Us and The City;-)Us and The City;-)
Us and The City;-)

view from the Story Bridge
Brisbane CityBrisbane City
Brisbane City

view from the Kangaroo Point
Brisbane CityBrisbane City
Brisbane City

view from the South Bank
Brisbane City View from the South BankBrisbane City View from the South Bank
Brisbane City View from the South Bank

the building with pink lights around is an old treasury building currently home to the Brisbane Casino ;-)
The Brisbane EyeThe Brisbane Eye
The Brisbane Eye

view from Victoria Bridge


16th June 2011

You are welcome back
Glad you enjoyed the city where I earn my money to travel ;-) If you return, please get in contact with me; I live within a 5 minute walk of the Brisbane Eye so would be happy to give both of you a Travelblog Tour of Southbank and surrounds.
16th June 2011

You are welcome back
Glad you enjoyed the city where I earn my money to travel ;-) If you return, please get in contact with me; I live within a 5 minute walk of the Brisbane Eye so would be happy to give both of you a Travelblog Tour of Southbank and surrounds.
16th June 2011

Hi
Thanks a lot for the offer ;-) Wish we had known before as we would have definitely got in touch with you;-) You are very lucky to live there - brilliant place;-)cheers, B&T

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb