rain, rain, rain, massive down pour, more rain


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
March 2nd 2010
Published: March 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had planned a later bus from Surfers Paradise to Brisbane yesterday so that we could enjoy the beach, however that was totally ruined by the rain, it was so bad that we ended up just hanging out in our hostel common room with 15 drunk Canadians (at like 8 am) to watch the Canada v. America Hockey game. The Canadians love and excitement for the sport made it fun, and the fact some of them were already passed out by the end made me re-evaluate the level of enthusiasm Americans have for sports compared to the rest of the world, however that was all over by 10 am and we were left with nothing to do in the rain.

Finally we got our bus to Brisbane and arrived at our hostel around 3:15. Once we got there we found out that the XXXX brewery was really 'close' and it was going to be closed all day Tuesday so Caroline and I decided we could make the last tour at 4 o'clock. The directions seemed simple and it was supposed to be a 5 minute walk. 5 minutes turned into 25 minutes of us scrambling in a horrible rain storm. Our clothes and shoes were soaked, and our hair looked like we just got out of the shower, every other person had an umbrella on the street but we have been refusing to give in to the weather so we hadn't bought one (just picked one up for $5 this morning though). We finally arrived at the brewery like 1 minute before our tour and the guide was laughing at us as we walked in. By then we were starving and just wanted the 4 tasters that were promised. This didn't happen for like another hour and half, so needless to say I tried my best to enjoy the tour and learn about the beer but it was a little difficult, but the end was amazing. The best thing though by far about the tour was that we got free plastic yellow ponchos to wear because part of the tour was outside. We were so happy to have them, but then i think we got even weirder looks on our way home than we got when we were soaking wet on the way there.

Today we put our ponchos back on (even though they were getting a few rips in them), picked up the cheap umbrellas, and went to a koala sanctuary. The rain still had not stopped so we were walking in it for like another 2 hours, and apparently the koalas hate rain, but the cool thing was that we got to hold them and take pictures. The rest of the sanctuary was cool also and very hands on with lots of animals, i even walked into the kangaroo part which was mixed with emus (only like the scariest birds ever) Erinn and Caroline promised to stand on the sides of me when they came near so i felt a little ok about it. The rest of the day was spent walking under covered eves in the central business district. I feel bad because Brisbane looks like a beautiful city (with an amazing university in the center of town that im a little sad i never considered for study abroad), but the weather is so bad here that we were hardly able to enjoy it.

Tomorrow we take a 6 hour bus ride up the coast to stay in Hervey Bay and then we leave for a 2 night 3 day camping trip on Fraser Island. Its supposed to be raining the entire time so im a little apprehensive about it, but our plan is to just buy lots of goon (cheap boxed wine that all backpackers drink) and make the best of it!


Advertisement



2nd March 2010

r,r,r, mdp, more rain :)
If it will make you feel better -- it's raining here too! I think the north state is almost up to our average yearly rain now! I've had to drain water from the pool three times this winter. Hey, I need you to come home -- I'm not being a very good bootcamper! Continue to have a good time and remember it's just a rainy day -- you can still have a grand time!! P.S. Trinity beat Fall River (54-52) in a super game. We play Hamilton City on Wednesday :0) Go Wolves!! P.S.S. I won two cases of beer from the French Gulch Bar - When you two get home, we'll make family trip down there to get it. xox

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb