Bris-vegas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
May 7th 2009
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BrisbaneBrisbaneBrisbane

Story Bridge
After driving down from Cairns we finally made it to Brisbane to do something we really didn’t want to do....work! Daisy had a job lined up to do some physio work, whilst I managed to find a job as a removal man! I could go on about our wonderful jobs and how much we loved them, but instead ill fill you in on what we did outside of work.

Brisbane is a really nice city, although smaller and less glamorous than Melbourne or Sydney, the weather is way better as it’s in Queensland. The city is built around a river, so has a great feel to it, with the CBD over looking the water, with parks and gardens along the river banks.

After finding a house to live in we spent our time exploring the city - from the busy CBD, to the chilled Southbank with its man-made beach, museums and parks, to Mount Cootha, where the botanical gardens are based with spectacular city views, right through to sport with big teams in both NRL (Brisbane Broncos) and AFL (Brisbane Lions), and we attended games at both grounds which was fantastic. Queensland is also renowned for XXXX beer, and a visit to the brewery was also essential.

Just outside Brisbane are a number of great coastal spots, with the sunshine and gold coasts only an hour away, which are great for surfing or just chilling on the beach. Close to the sunshine coast is the famous Australia Zoo, which is well known for its relationship with Steve Irwin, and we visited early in our stay. The Zoo is great because a lot of the animals (kangaroos, koalas) are not in cages, so you can get up close and hand feed a lot of them.

Just beside the zoo is the impressive Glasshouse Mountains, which were formed from the remnants of volcanoes, and now resemble bizarre shaped rock formations protruding out of the lush green earth. One of Daisy’s friends took us up to the mountains in a classic 1966 ford falcon, which was amazing!

We have both loved Brisbane, and it’s certainly a very livable city, but our time here is drawing to an end and we should soon be back on the road!



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BrisbaneBrisbane
Brisbane

Botanical Gardens
BrisbaneBrisbane
Brisbane

Southbank
The GabbaThe Gabba
The Gabba

Brisbane Lions
Gold CoastGold Coast
Gold Coast

Adam trying to surf!


Tot: 0.449s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.3475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb