Deception Bay and the Quiz Night


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
April 23rd 2008
Published: May 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hoochy MamaHoochy MamaHoochy Mama

Helping Beryl concoct
Matt Writes -

Due to inconvenient timings and Brisbane airport being out of town, our journey to Thailand from our friends Damian and Denise's house would have been a logistical nightmare lasting at least 36 hours. But Beryl & Norm, Denise's folks, were superstars and we were picked up from the train that had brought us south from Hervey Bay, fed and watered and given a bed for the night to break up the journey. We got to sample their home brew wines & beers and were even honoured as guests at the their weekly quiz night.

Deception Bay Lawn Bowls Club was a typical Aussy affair, straight talking Betty, 70 years of age, was quiz master taking no prisoners with her dry manner, ready to verbally slaughter anyone confident enough to quibble the wording of her questions (and there were a few of those). Rock and Roll dance lessons were in full swing in the dance room next door while the pokies room glistened like a mini Vegas in the corner, Home and Away broadcasted on the big screen (sound down of course) and yes, Alf's still in it.

Within five minutes into the questioning, Betty
Gym AddictsGym AddictsGym Addicts

The runners-up with Betty, quiz master on the right
was already laying into the "Pommy guests" in the corner. Gym Addicts (Norm, Beryl with team mates and neighbours Ron & Larelle) had their team strategy down to a tea - any deliberation was done by means of scrawling answers on sheets of paper then comparing quietly so to establish a consensus without discussing answers so that competing teams could hear. Cunning tactics.

I almost collapsed with a heart attack in the toilets, quietly doing my business, when Betty's voice came booming through over my left shoulder. The PA had been wired into the toilets so that even if nature called, contestants could still contribute.

After coming a close second we retired to the bar of our hosts where the home brew consumption continued well past midnight. Not for the first time in our lives we would be boarding a plane (two infact) from Australia very hungover.

Many thanks to Norm & Beryl for their generous Aussie hospitality and to Ron & Larelle who put on a great barbie breakfast in their garden the next morning.

Now on to South East Asia - first stop Bangkok...



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Boozing at the BarBoozing at the Bar
Boozing at the Bar

Trouble with having a bar at home is that even when you have left the pub, a night cap is never just a night cap.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb