Surf's up.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
January 19th 2008
Published: January 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Australia Zoo we took the coach into Brisbane for a flying stopover to check out the city. Arriving in the evening we only managed to check out the local supermarket and kitchen in the hostel but the enjoyment began the following day. Rising early we set out on foot to explore the city. Brisbane, contrary to popular belief is a really nice place. Full of history and amazing architecture. The best part was climbing the clock tower at Brisbane’s City Hall - until the Sydney Opera House was completed in 1971 it was the most expensive building in the country. The views from the top are wonderful - although not the tallest building in the city they're not totally spoilt. We were at the top when the quarter hour bell chimed which shook the whole tower! After a day on our feet and not wanting to slow the pace we jumped on the Greyhound once more heading for Byron Bay.

Byron Bay exists as a tourist town - without tourists it would be a sleepy seaside town. It's a busy Newquay type place but does have an amazing beach, which we decided to make use of. Arriving late on the first day we took a brisk walk along the beach before surrendering to sleep. The following day we headed into town to see what was on offer we then parked ourselves the beach for the rest of the time, our hostel wasn't far from the beach, which was good for re-fuelling. The beach/town is packed with surf bums, due to the size of the beach it would be difficult for it to become packed, there's plenty of room for everyone. The following morning we got up at 5am and began cycling along the beach to the lighthouse for sunrise. Realising we weren't going to see the sun through the clouds we took it easy. We were told it would take 45 minutes to walk; it took us an hour to cycle at a reasonable pace. I think they times Paula Ratcliff running it! It was worth rising early to visit the lighthouse, although we've seen better views the sea was rough and the air was cool. A good time of day to head out on a mission!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb