Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
June 4th 2007
Published: June 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Peter and Sarah collected me from the airport and we went to check me into the hostel which was right beside their house. The hostel was in the west end and called brisbane city backpackers. It seemed to be a really lively spot with its own bar and pool but I was hardly there for the whole weekend.

Friday night I got the tour of the house Peter and Sarah were staying in, a renovated (on the outside) queenslander - wooden house on stilts cooled by the air passing underneath. Lovely house. We went to the Pavilion in the West End to play pool and catch up. The next day we strolled through the south bank and across the river into the city centre where we ended up in the Queen St mall which seems to be the main shopping area. A few of the Welsh rugby players were around... Gavin Henson looked like he was in a bit of a rush - he might have been late for a hairdressing appointment!

After lunch we headed to the state museum and art gallery back on the south bank. All pretty interesting and very handy because it's grouped into
back to asia?back to asia?back to asia?

temple on the south bank
a cultural centre so once you get there you can see everything.

Later on, (after great homemade burgers) we headed to the wales v australia game. The first game the week before had been close, but Australia just edged it. The two housemates are Welsh and they'd made a massive welsh flag from a painted white bedsheet which Jimmy "wore" to the game. The less said about the game itself the better. Australia won and we'll leave it at that.

Afterwards, we headed to a few bars in the area around the stadium, but a lot of the Welsh supporters that were there before the game seemed to have disappeared! A good night out anyway. The next morning I headed to the maritime museum and it was worth it. We had lunch in the south bank, took a trip along the river on a city cat and then it was almost time to catch my flight.. Brisbane is a lot smaller than Sydney and it definitely feels it. Nice spot, probably more relaxed than Sydney but it's missing Sydney's buzz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

it went downhill from here...it went downhill from here...
it went downhill from here...

Telstra Stadium, Brisbane
big shipbig ship
big ship

Maritime Museum, Brisbane
old shipold ship
old ship

Maritime Museum, Brisbane
bath tubbath tub
bath tub

some Canadian lad sailed from Canada to Brisbane in this homemade boat only 2.5m long! Crazy Canucks...! Maritime Museum, Brisbane


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb