United with Marnie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Manly
February 8th 2010
Published: February 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nassau to Staniel CayNassau to Staniel CayNassau to Staniel Cay

A particularly pretty day
We arrived safely from LA yesterday and spent today unpacking boxes upon boxes of 'boat stuff' awaiting our arrival. A shorter return journey as we stayed on the west coast for a few days before the leg to Australia, which meant we (a) missing an enormous snowfall in Virginia during the first week in Feb and (b) only a 14 hour return flight to Brisbane. As the flights from Brisbane to Virginia Beach had taken 22 hours and 3 days to recover from, we decided against repeating that gruelling regime.

Since the last entry we spent one week with Debbie and Walter on Staniel Cay in the Exumas, Bahamas. We arrived on the island shortly before their arrival, stocked the fridge and launched the dinghy in preparation for the fun. We were delayed in Nassau because of delayed flight connections and stayed overnight near the airport at an indifferent little tourist boutique hotel. This coincided with a medical team enroute to Haiti staying in the same hotel, which made for interesting dinner conversation. Temperatures in the Bahamas are very pleasant in January and the water is sufficiently warm, assuming you're prepared to swim not lounge! Walter and Debbie were kind enough to play tourist guides so we explored Black Point, Compass Cay, Cave Cay and Swimming Pig Beach on Big Majors Cay by dinghy and were entertained morning, afternoon and evening by our wonderful hosts.

From the Bahamas we flew to Seattle via Washington DC and Phoenix Arizona - the scenic route, or at least the lengthy one. We were about to spend four days with friends Nancy and Jerry who have swallowed the anchor and settled in the beautiful location of Kingston overlooking the Puget Sound with Mount Baker to port, Mount Rainier to starboard and a bald eagle flight path right through their garden. They have two new family additions in the form of a grandchild and golden retriever puppy, and much enjoyment was had playing with the fluffier of the two. We visited Port Townsend in the sunshine where we were in our element, as there's a wooden boat school, reminding us of our time in Auckland. We visited a couple of vineyards for wine tasting in Redmond on another day, which involved a ferry ride to Edmonds and to hit on a winner for the lunch stop - possibly to feature on Nancy's 'A' list of visitors tours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Our mode of transport...Our mode of transport...
Our mode of transport...

the golf cart or on foot
Walter and Debbie beautiful retreatWalter and Debbie beautiful retreat
Walter and Debbie beautiful retreat

Rum Punch, The Exumas, Bahamas


Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb