Brissie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Eight Mile Plains
June 2nd 2011
Published: June 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, we are in Brisbane now and gradually settling into our new surroundings. Although we haven’t explored much of the City itself, it has a very vibrant feel to it, is easy to get around on public transport (it has an Oyster card type scheme) and actually feels quite European in itself (plenty of coffee shops).

Ellie has unfortunately been struck down with a cold the last few days (must be all the hot weather) and so we haven’t been out and about as much as we had hoped but we have managed to visit Brisbane’s Southbank where all the main museums and art galleries are located. These are pretty cool but we agreed that we visited them at the wrong time as they were all in the middle of building new exhibitions so there was plenty of building and construction work going on. However, this did not stop us spending a whole day mooching around there and dusting off our cultural wings.

We have also been doing a bit of preliminary job searching and applied to a job agency so hopefully something will come up soon. We have searched the internet and plenty of job sites and there looks as though there are plenty of jobs that would suit us about so hopefully we will settle down here for a while. Margaret (my 3rd cousin I believe and who we are staying with at the moment) has a part-time job at Griffith University in Brisbane and we visited there on Tuesday morning to see if they had any work going. As the university is moving into exam season, a lady who we handed our CVs into said that there might be some temp work about to help out with this period. We are waiting to hear back from her so something might even come of that. I think working at a university will definitely look better on the CV than working part-time at a cocktail bar!

Last night Ellie and I went to watch Margaret’s son Dann play 5-a-side football and after the game I managed to get on the team for next week so we will see how that goes! It’s been about a year or so since I last played five-a-side so I hope the team don’t expect any heroic performances (messy rather than Messi) but it’ll be a good way to get fit nonetheless. Ellie was also getting involved in the cheering and she said that five-a-side football looked like good fun. Kristina (Dann’s sister) plays five-a-side as well, so I said to Ellie that she should try and get involved!

Just a quick update anyway as I best be off – there’s jobs to apply for!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb