It’s all in the numbers...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Baralaba
May 21st 2015
Published: May 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

The last leg into Qld and Tewantin in particular was a journey of some 305 Kms, and it was ALL freeway/motorway from beginning to end. Fuel economy on this run (according to the car computer) was an incredible 14.2 lts/100km. Given that our experience to date had seen figures of high 17’s to well over 20 lts/100kms we were quite happy with that run. We were excited and it was not the only thing that made us happy as we seemed to out-run the rain that had dogged us for the journey up to Byron Bay.

We did enjoy being able to get into shorts and sandals (I was going to say thongs, but I knew half our readers would take that the wrong way – you know who you are!). We have probably mentioned previously that Allan, the brother in law is a professional fisherman and he was working for a lot of the time we were there, but he did throw caution to the wind and invite the ‘fish scarer”, and despite Geoff’s best efforts in that role, many fish were indeed caught. Suffice to say that it’s a job for the very fit, and definitely not for
Calliope Historical VillageCalliope Historical VillageCalliope Historical Village

Oh, they have some saucy wenches behind the bar here!
the faint hearted as the catch can include “by-product” including sting rays, ‘happy moments’ – whose barbs can inflict venom that will definitely not make you happy, and other creatures of a similar nature. It was a great experience. Allan’s fishing partner made sure that “the old man” did not lift anything too heavy!

Naturally, we had to do the Eumundi Market thing while we were there and after Marg had cleaned out Geoff’s wallet (which was pretty slim at the time), we were looking for an ATM when we were approached by a young man handing out scratch cards... The first 3 were duds, but the fourth (Marg’s) turned out to be a winner – the young man was very excited. It turned out we had won $2,000 worth of travel (how ironic), provide we attended a 90 minute presentation later in the week. First bit of luck. We did attend and can have 7 nights in Bali, Thailand or the Gold coast. Have to get ourselves there at our own expense. It is a bit like time share and they were encouraging us to spend $27,000 for a “lifetime” of holidays. You still had to pay for all your accommodation but got it for $200.00 per week no matter where you went.

The weather held despite the portents of gloom from the TV weatherman, and after 12 days of enjoying the company of the in-laws it was time to get back on the road. Having spent a lot of money on overnight stays in national parks and similar we were looking for places that were really free, and the Avondale Homestead Tavern just north of Bundaberg seemed to fit the bill. It turned out to be a roughly mown paddock next to the pub with some shady gum trees, but free is free so we settled in for the night. It turns out that the pub is well known for being the entertainment hub for the area, and on Saturday they were hosting Phil Emmanuel (brother of Tommy). They were also the location for the Bikes and Tattoos gathering on Saturday which did not appeal to us, so we hit the road again. We did get the opportunity to do some touring on Friday and inspected 3 camp sites on the beach. At the first, we parked on a steep slope facing the beach and took a short walk to inspect the camp from the sea side. That turned into a shell collecting exercise, but that is another story. We returned to the car and found another car parked on the (almost) flat about 10 mts behind us. Marg suggested we drive through the camp area to determine its suitability i.e access, turning space and general ambience. We took a short drive along the sandy track and on returning spoke to a camper about the cost (free), but he was amazed at our luck as in the very short time that we were looking around, the car that was behind us rolled down the slope and crashed heavily into the beach fence! No body to be seen, and the car apparently did not have its handbrake on nor was it in gear. Second bit of luck.

Geoff was thinking that with $50m on offer in the Tatts lotteries, he knew exactly where to use the third bit of luck, but as Marg was not privy to the plan, it all went pear shaped. We had ended up in Bundaberg for lunch and Marg spied a little Korean restaurant/cafe that took her fancy (we could have
Cania GorgeCania GorgeCania Gorge

What gorge I hear you ask...
bought the place with a win on Tatts) and so we went in and had lunch. Later we walked back to the car, looking into a couple of shops on the way and when we got to the car, Marg suddenly realised that she did not have her handbag. Run, I said. Well that was not going to happen, and Geoff was sure that the family fortune was gone. Eventually Marg turned up back at the car with her handbag; found and saved by the waitress. Third bit of luck... but not a win on Tatts.

The Calliope River beckoned, and after replenishing water and a bit of power at the Gladstone Marine park we headed about 30 kms inland. After missing the turn at a brand new interchange with the Bruce Highway which necessitated an illegal turn onto another on ramp, we found one part of the camp area. It turns out that camping is available on both sides of the river. We found the bigger area which is lower and closer to the river which suited she who must be obeyed. We parked right beside the river which was very pretty (and free – did we mention
Calliope River camp Calliope River camp Calliope River camp

Welcoming party.
that it was FREE). The area had experienced a cyclonic weather event late in March and the ground was showing the effects of 4x4’s driving through the softened/soaked soil. Nevertheless it was a picturesque spot and we put out the anchor for the next 3 days. Marg decided that we could tour the extended area on the second day and we headed west towards Biloela (pron: Bill-oh-eela). Called into the Tourist Information centre to find out what there was to see and do in the area to be told ‘nothing much’, right oh! We did collect maps and a very little information and headed off. We had lunch at place called Mt. Scoria; not much to see here and we were beginning to believe the guy at the Information centre. Marg had a desire to go to a place called Cania Gorge, near Monto, so off we went. The day was drifting away quite rapidly by the time we got to the gorge, but Geoff headed off on one of the walks. There track traversed 2 creeks which did not have much more than a trickle in each, but the foot bridges over both had been swept away by the
Calliope River campCalliope River campCalliope River camp

Old Bruce highway bridge and the new in the background
flood waters from the previously mentioned cyclone. There was a fork in the trail and Geoff headed towards “the Lookout”. All hot and sweaty he reached the summit to be greeted with – ‘nothing to see here’. Apparently, the track to follow was called “The Overhang” which did have some ferns and the like, but we will never know now... Geoff took no prisoners on the return journey, but it was all but dark when we got back to camp – 430kms for the day and not a lot to show for it!

Heading further north required us to go through Biloela again, and then through Banana - no need for pronunciation there, and yes it is a real town... it is Queensland after all. The final destination for this blog is Baralaba – just take a run at it and it will flow off the tongue. We are at a ‘picnic ground’ on the banks of the Neville Hewitt Weir, on the Dawson River and the weather is holding despite the weatherman’s predictions. We’ve been here for two days and tomorrow head on to the next part of the trip.

See you soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Calliope River campCalliope River camp
Calliope River camp

Well we have to do the washing sometime. River is about 2.5 mts down from the edge.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb