A stopover at Ayr


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Ayr
July 30th 2010
Published: July 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


A view of the harbour, AirlieA view of the harbour, AirlieA view of the harbour, Airlie

With some of the Whitsunday Islands in the distance
We left Sarina and drove on through Mackay. We were surprised that the many motels had their No Vacancy signs out till we found there was a Mining Expo on in town. We drove by it - a big deal.

On then to the caravan park at Cannonvale, out of Airlie Beach. We had three days there, restful, warm. We took the bus outside into Airlie one day and walked around, I always love the pools they've built just in from the waterfront. Another day we walked up to the little Centro shopping centre along from where we were staying, but mostly we just were lazy, sitting outside under the awning, catching up on our reading. As usual, the Midges have been pleased to see me again this year and welcome me with open mouths. Doug never gets a bite, I get covered .. and I could scream with itchiness.

We would love if we could get a ferry that wasn't costly to some of the 74 islands in the Whitsundays while we're at Airlie. The tourist cruises have it all sewn up, they give a good day out and usually visit two or three islands, throw in snorkling and sometimes a meal but we've done them all and they're expensive $150ish, so a couple of times is enough. We've been spoilt with our $2.50 fare from Manly across our beautiful Sydney Harbour!

This morning we had one last drive around Airlie and Shute Harbour, then drove back onto the highway, alongside the cane fields. There is always a lot going on, cane being cut, being loaded into trucks, into the little train carriages, and in nearly every big town there's a sugar mill.

We stopped at Bowen for lunch and then, once more on the highway, saw a nasty accident involving two cars towing caravans and possibly a third car. It's sad to see the vans torn apart or on their roofs, the contents strewn across the road and the paddocks, and the cars damaged beyond repair. There were police and tow trucks but no ambulance so hopefully no one was hurt. It's the second such accident we've seen this trip - we also saw a nasty similar one when we were down in Victoria. Slow down people!

We thought we'd book in here and then go to the beach who's sign we'd passed. When Doug asked the caravan park owner about it she said 'it's a 20 kilometre drive, then a 2 kilometre walk through sandfly infested sand, and the beach is rubbish'. Errr, we'll pass on that then. So, it's back under the shade with a book and a lazy afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Catching up on writingCatching up on writing
Catching up on writing

It was a hot day!
Cutting and loading caneCutting and loading cane
Cutting and loading cane

I thought it was clever the way these two vehicles went along the row in perfect tandem together


31st July 2010

Great Entry
Thanks for sharing your blog. I love your photos and am envious of your lifestyle. One day my husband and I will do the same thing! Liz
1st August 2010

Thank you
Thank you Liz. I've bookmarked your blog and will be following your US trip with interest. There's a lot of great places to visit! Have fun, Val

Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb