Atherton - Lake Barrine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Atherton Tablelands
April 11th 2007
Published: April 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Cathedral Fig TreeCathedral Fig TreeCathedral Fig Tree

That's Andreas at the standing at the bottom of the tree
We took a trip to Atherton via Lake Barrine about an hour drive SW of Cairns. First we stopped at the Curtain Fig Tree. This is the largest fig tree in Austrailia at 44 meters in circumference and 48 meters tall. Its age is guessed at 500 years old. It is absolutely massive.

We had the best brewed coffee (something rarley found in this area) and scones (freshly baked) at the Lake Barrine Tea House and enjoyed the wonderful deck over looking the lake before embarking on a 5 km hike around the lake. The trail is a well maintained boardwalk that is an easy 1 1/2 hour walk. On the route you will see many brush turkeys that like to jump out and startle you; and large green eels if you are lucky. We were told that the lake is home to large pythons (20 plus feet !) and the surrounding bush contains taipans and brown snakes, although they are rarely seen during the day. The only warnings given are for the Australian Stinging Tree. This is a very high powered nettle plant that grows were ever the rain forrest has been cleared because it likes the sunlight. The effects of the sting last for several months and can cause paralysis and shortness of breath. There are no treatments or cures. We saw several if these plants on our walk.

From Lake Barrine we went to the town of Atherton which has such sites as a Chinese Graveyard, Platipus Pond, and The Underground Crystal Caves Museum.

Our Favorite stop of the day was the Mt. Uncle Distillery where we sampled several types unusual liqueurs over pleasant chatter with the owner. The coversation with this fellow who had grown-up in the area revealed some interesting stories. He told us that Trinity Beach was a practice sit for US army landing craft until it was discovered that huge tiger sharks inhabited the area. He witnessed one of his first deaths from a man-of-war sting at Clifton Beach in the 60's. He also confirmed my suspicion about the snakes around the Lake Barrine area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb