Hervey Bay and Agnes Water, 1770


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » 1770
December 1st 2012
Published: December 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hervey Bay

I travelled a few hours up the road for an overnight stay in Hervey Bay. The hostel was nice, really clean, had a great kitchen and had a pool but the town was a bit boring. I took a long walk on the beach to loosen up my leg, but was disappointed to see that in a stretch of a couple of hundred meters there were about 10 pipes (i'm thinking sewage) leading out onto the beach. Which was a little worrying for the condition of the water, not that i wanted to go swimming but there were some kids in the water!! It was definitely the beginning of jellyfish season too because the beach was adorned with thousands of them!! Not stingers though so at least the swimmers weren't in too much danger! I headed back to the hostel and passed out very early to catch up on my sleep.
1770 - Agnes Water
Sunday - 2 December - After another walk around Hervey Bay i got on a bus to Agnes Water and the town of 1770, aptly named as it was the first landing point of Captain Cook in 1770, hence the original name! I turned up at the Cool Bananas hostel pursuant to the booking i had made through Hostel World only to be chucked out again by the owner along with 4 others. He claimed not to have received our booking and went mental at the hostel worker for bringing us to the hostel, shouting directions to get rid of us. The hostel worker kindly drove us to another hostel and luckily they had space for us. It turned out to be a great place. I got settled and ventured out with a girl who'd also been chucked out of the other hostel. We took a walk along the beach to the centre of town and the supermarket which had already closed at 7pm. We managed to get a meal together with bits from the gas station in town, healthy!!
Monday - 3 December - Today I went sea kayaking. It was a lot of hard work as we paddled out against the tide but we ended up having quite a laugh as Deborah and Shaun from Fraser's were there also. Shaun is afraid of water and had Deborah and I in stitches.

Tuesday - 4 December - Probably against all medical advice, I went surfing this morning. Despite still not being able to put my heel down when i'm walking i managed to stand up a couple of times. The tide was pulling strongly at an angle to the beach so it was hard work paddling out to catch a wave and then walking back up the beach to start again. I got pounded a few times and have the bruises to prove it!. i was happy i'd given it ago as 1770 is the last spot up on the East Coast that you can surf. Everywhere north is stinger territory.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb