Digital village


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » 1770
November 3rd 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

I wanted to see 1770 partly because of its connection with Captain Cook (local boy from back home), who had first set foot in Queensland at that point in that year, and partly because of the novelty value of it being a number (once a mathmo, always a mathmo). All the backpacker accommodation was in the nearby town of Agnes Water, even confusingly-named hostels like 1770 Backpackers, and as luck would have it there were no dorm beds available for love nor money - seems as though the area is inexplicably popular among backpackers for surfing, even though the surf is inferior to a gazillion places on this coast. Thus I was put in the unfortunate position of having to spend the night in a motel room with TV, fridge, microwave oven, ensuite bathroom with no-one else's hairs all over it, etc.

1770 itself was a real disappointment, consisting as it did of a few buildings with no appeal whatsoever. Even the welcome sign on the road spelled the name out instead of using digits (though the goodbye sign rectified that). It's quite possible that the town of Banana, that I'd driven through on the way from Carnarvon, may have been the best-named place I visited today.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Lifeguard contestLifeguard contest
Lifeguard contest

At Agnes Water beach (aka Agnes Beach)


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb