2 July 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
July 2nd 2012
Published: July 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning’s breakfast was just finished in time before that icey easterly breeze turned into a gale whipping up red dust all over the caravan park and making it even more of a chore to pack up than usual.

We rolled out of Barkly Homestead and headed to Avon Downs (free camp) which was just short of the Queensland border.<span> Seemed safe as houses especially with a police station across the road and there was an area for weary drivers to recharge with a coffee.<span> Nice enough spot but that wind did not subside so it was into the van to take shelter for most of the day.

Tea tonight was interesting to say the least.<span> We cooked just before dusk and walked over to the shelter onsite to eat when we noticed a small marsupial or bush rat or.......we were not quite sure what it was.<span> Anyway we had left the van open and thought we had better get back in case there were any other little critters around the place.<span> Sure enough there were two trotting across the dirt to where we cooked.<span> In a few moments there were seven or eight of the furry customers and without knowing exactly what they were it was a bit disconcerting to say the least.

They were definitely not shy, sniffing all about our table while we stood there and one even managed to get into a bag we had outside so the main concern was they would somehow be able to get into the van which isn’t exactly a impenetrable fortress.

Once the dishes were done and we repacked our supplies in the van so no food was left, out the little fellas slowly dispersed over the next few hours.<span> Bullet dodged.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb