The beautiful North


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
June 17th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Katerine GorgeKaterine GorgeKaterine Gorge

View from above. We had just travelled down the river in our boat.
We cross the border after Kununarra, Infact we barely realized that we did pass the border. Our first stop is Katherine. By now we have hooked up with a French guy called Olivier. Whilst he headed off for a few days, we explored Katherine. The first thing that really hits you about the NT is the numerous signs warning you of salt water crocodiles (salties). These are the most fearsome creatures on this planet, but it’s almost like you can’t go swimming anywhere, such is the danger.

Katherine gorge is beautiful, spectacular. We had an aboriginal guide, who explained how the gorges were formed, and the frightening levels that they can reach during the wet season. The pictures, I am sure you will agree, are fabulous, and its worth the visit every time. This is also the first time we meet up with 5 germans (there are loads of them in australia!!!). Alex, Stefan, Julia, Anika, and Riza (a japanese girl, but adopted into the german culture). We would meet them several times during the rest of our trip, and forge a great friendship with them.

On our way up to Darwin, we stopped at Edith falls. This is
Katherine GorgeKatherine GorgeKatherine Gorge

a beautiful drift along the river, with limestone peaks either side.
a spectacular waterfall region, and again the pictures probably don’t do it justice.

We were due to stop at Litchfield national park, on our way to Darwin, but we had a spectacular blow out on the highway. Our front tyre burst, whilst doing about 110kmh. Luckily, we were not going any faster, as it was a real shock, and could have ended up a disaster. Then the car would not start properly, and we decided to head for Darwin, and straight to a mechanic. Damn this car....its getting to be a realy pain in the arse now!!!

We met up with Olivier, and as it happened, it was Carmen and my 6th anniversary together. So we celebrated in spectacular style, going out for dinner, then onto a night club. My head hurt like hell the next day, but we had a hell of a time. Darwin nightlife rocks!!!!! If you ever get there, shenannigans is awesome!!!

Darwin itself is pretty small. Its really only made up of 2 main streets, and so finding your way around is pretty easy. The Warf serves up a great barramundi and chips for about $10, and its well worth it. However, we were stuck here for 1 week, given the problems with the car, and by now, my ever increasing problems with sponsorship (yes, i was on a 1 year holiday visa, then came back on a tourst visa, trying to get my sponsorship visa....very confusing i know!!)..

We finally managed to get to Litchfield NP, and the wait was totally worth it. The beauty of Australia lies in its wide range of national parks, and this was one of the best ones. Termite mounds, waterfalls, and pools that you could swim in. We did, however have one incident. Whilst at a waterfall, Olivier and I climbed across some stones, and onto a boulder, and were happily taking in the waterfall, and some very nice pictures. Carmen held back, carrying her bum bag full with passports and the external Hard drive. After some encouragement, she decided to join us. Olivier and I were discussing a joke to play on Carmen. The next thing we knew, she was standing, completely soaked and ringing out her clothes. We hadn’t heard or seen anything, but she had slipped and fallen into the water pool, together with the bag the help the most vital things we posses on this trip!!!! It was hilarious, but also concerning, and we all had a good laugh about it.

That night I sampled some crocodile meat, given to me by the German kids whom we met up with again. It smells fishy, but looks and tastes a bit like chicken, only tougher. Not sure it was my favorite, but I prefer it to Kangaroo!!

We left Olivier at the airport, for his flight back to Sydney, and then France, with promises that we will meet up again. We headed onto Kakadu NP. The most famous of the NP’s in Australia. Unfortunately most of the park was closed, but we were still able to camp out amongst the dingoes, and see some amazing rock art, dating back between 20-50 thousand years ago.

On to Mataranka, but not before taking in a crocodile jumping cruise in adelaide hills (no not south australia, northern territories dear!!). These are wild salties, and baited with large pieces of meat, they swim eagerly, and actually pretty bloody fast, towards the boat, bear their teeth, and jump. Its incredible how high they can jump. Their whole body is able to be propelled
croc trapcroc trapcroc trap

Katherine gorge
out of the water, grabbing the meat, and with a clap of the jaws, the meat is gone. We were even privileged to see an eagle swoop off a tree, and grab a piece of meat from the line. Well worth the $30 to see.

Mataranka was only an overnight stop. It’s famous for its thermal springs, but to be honest, there is only a small part that you can swim in, and the rest is filthy dirty. Not sure if you would catch something there, so we gave it a miss.

Tennant Creek is a small town, and the gateway to Queensland. We will be heading back here after, but for now, we spent a night at the camp site, sitting round a fire, listening to the famous Jimmy Hooker (aka the bush tucker man), a former gold mining prospector, who has won awards for his story telling bush poems, and knowledge of bush tucker. We had bush tea, and samples bush bread, cooked in a clay pot which was buried in the ground and covered with burning wood. It was delicious, and well worth the $3 entrance fee. He;s very funny.

Alice is our next
Our first blown tyreOur first blown tyreOur first blown tyre

and we have made it......nearly.....to Darwin.
stop. We had bought a didgeridoo in Katherine, but Alice is the place for paintings. Alice is nice, but again, not very big. There are loads of Aboriginal people here, and the paintings are all abstract. Some are about dreamings, some about teachings that they pass on to the younger generation. Some are forms of maps, but really only show a rock and river and some animals, and they know where it is. Very expensive, but some great abstract art by some world famous artists!!

We got stuck repairing the bloody car again, and this is the last time I will throw money at it. Come what may, we have decided that its not worth it anymore!!! We scour the streets looking for good abstract art, but we are not sure what is what, and abstract art confuses the hell out of me!!

We decided to wait, and head to Uluru. This is indeed a bloody big rock. Its immense, and its presence is bewildering. I’m not sure if it’s the anticipation of seeing the worlds famous rock or what, but there is definitely something strange and enchanting about that rock. We watched the sunset on our first evening, and it really was a spectacle of differing colours. The next day we tried to get up for the sunrise, but given that its at 0630, and we had to be up at 0530, well we were late. Still, it did not seem all that great in comparison to the sunset.

Next to it is the Olgas, better known as Kata Tjuta. It is a series of rocks, some bigger than Uluru, and the walk through is unbelievably scenic. Altogether, the uluru base walk and the Olgas walk was 16.5km. It actually wasn’t that bad, but we felt it the next day.

We traveled to Kings Canyon, which is about 300Km from Uluru. Petrol is not cheap down here, and our bank accounts will need some resuscitation soon. We arrived at Kings Canyon, and were presented with a “please mind the Dingoes” leaflet, advising us not to feed or approach the dingoes, no leaving clothes or food out at night, and to close our tents. “Have we done something very wrong here?” We set up our tent and just chilled for the rest of the day, swimming in the pool and being vegetables, which was
View across the lakeView across the lakeView across the lake

one of the best views i have experienced. Edith falls. NT
very welcoming. We saw the sunset over the canyon, which was as far as we pushed ourselves, and got an early night. However, what was quiet disconcerting was the howling by several dingoes, some in closer proximity to our tent than others. They are actually quite thin looking dogs, and they are easily scared off, and not really that dangerous, except when provoked I guess!!! Didn't feel the need to try that thou!!!

The next day we walked about 8.5 kms through Kings Canyon. The initial climb was probably the hardest part, a vertical climb of about 200M. The chest and lungs start burning about 1/4 of the way up, and by the end your legs are like jelly. Imagine doing the hardest spinning class you have ever done, then trying to walk back home!! The rest was pretty flat and rocky, but there were some absolutely amazing views. There are beehive dome-shaped mountain ranges, and the look out from the top is stunning to say the least. I am not a great one for these long treks, but even I was impressed, and I really enjoyed it.

We now start our long and tedious journey back to
another long drive......another long drive......another long drive......

But in the NT, the scenery catches you unaware. Beware!!!
Tennant creek, and across to Queensland. The towns here are very far away from each other. There really is nothing in between. Long straight roads of nothingness. However, what lies at the end of this long and not so winding roads, is a phenomenal representation of the natural beauty of Australia. We have really fond memories of the Northern Territories, and it would not be a bad place to settle down in, if only there was good surf!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

it our anniversaryit our anniversary
it our anniversary

celebrating with a few drinks on our 6 yr anniversary. Darwin.
me an the girlsme an the girls
me an the girls

the fernandes charm works every time!!! I still got it!!!!
the morning after the night beforethe morning after the night before
the morning after the night before

and the tent is roasting hot already!!!!!
Rock ArtRock Art
Rock Art

aboriginals are famous for their paintings depicting events in their lives. Some are hundreds of years old!!!
standing at sacred sitestanding at sacred site
standing at sacred site

some area of rock art are sacred, and can only be entered by clan members of a certain level. Obviously the boss comes ino that catagory!!!
yea in the distanceyea in the distance
yea in the distance

we are standing on a small mountain, with magical views of lush greenery. In the distance is Arnham land. Aboriginal land.
as far as the eye can seeas far as the eye can see
as far as the eye can see

beautiful vistas in this most serene of places
standing at the waters edgestanding at the waters edge
standing at the waters edge

Lovely view from our campsite. Fancy a dip?Kununarra.
ahhhh.....there he isahhhh.....there he is
ahhhh.....there he is

our first wild croc. Right on our doorstep!!! Its only a freshie thou!!!
saltie in the watersaltie in the water
saltie in the water

definately no swimming here
jumping crocjumping croc
jumping croc

these thing jump out of the water. Really, it was amazing!!!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb