The last leg...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday night we stayed at a small place called Victoria River, which wasn't a particularly interesting place and we drove for a total of 803.3 km. We have seen several bush fires the past three days, even in areas catergorised as low risk. They didn't burn as much as I had expected, maybe that is because the bush land is quite scarce in these areas.



On Friday we made our way up to Darwin, 595.5 km. The bush seems to be much denser here in the Northern Territory and is more like a small trees than a bush. After thinking for days about how Joanne Lees possibly managed to hide in the bush I am now determined it wasn't in Western Australia as it more like a desert there.

Our first stop was at Katherine where we had a walk around the small town, there were quite a few indigenous people just chilling on the grass land, obviously no work to go to. Erica and I looked at some digiridoos but decided it would be a nightmare to send them home. There wasn't much to do here at all, so we made our way to Katherine Gorge. There we did a short walk instead of paying for a cruise or a helicopter flight, as my mother keeps informing me I am spending too much money! As time was cracking on we headed to on to Darwin, taking the scenic route, which was a smaller road set a little further into the bush.



On Saturday we headed into to town, we had a look in a couple of arts and crafts shops where we further contemplated digiridoos, but again came to the same conclusion! We then had a look for some nice underwear for when Michael and Andy come to visit and made some preparations., which I am unable to comment further on at this moment in time.... I can tell you we both managed to get our hair cut, the seven months of sea and sunshine had taken it's toll. We then headed to the Harbor to watch the sunset with a small glass of wine, as we are classy ladies...


On Sunday we set off early in order to see everything we had read about, first on our itinerary was Berry Springs, but unfortunately we missed the turning and
At Darwin HarbourAt Darwin HarbourAt Darwin Harbour

Another wicked sunset
it was only when i asked Erica how far she had driven that we realised how far we had gone out of the way and therefore unable to go back. So next was Emerald Springs, which we couldn't miss as it was on the main road, however when we got there it was closed. We drove through Pine Creek and made our way to Edith Falls, which was beautiful. It had a large lagoon which you can swim in but the sign saying salt water crocodiles may be present in these waters put us off a little! I decided that if I was going to be legless it would be due to alcohol!

Next we visited Bitter Springs in Elsey National Park, this one being natural unlike the one we visited in Borneo. The water was quite warm and perfectly clear but did have that awful sulphur smell. There we a couple of locals swimming in it, or more acurately dive bombing which was quite entertaining to watch. We were then joined by a lovely dog who did several laps before nearly drowning her owner as she tried to sit on his shoulder.

We then carried on driving until we reached Daly Waters (649.3 km), i swear the towns we drive through are getting smaller, we passed through Larrimah without even noticing! In the evening I was a little upset, as I had really begun to miss Michael. Luckily for him i didn't have any mobile coverage or he would have had an emotional women on his hands!







Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 97; dbt: 0.107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb