Day 12 - Uluru to Kings Canyon


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we got up at 5.10am to head out to the Field of Lights which is an art installation put together by a fella called Ben Munro. I love an art installation as much as the next person but it was freezing. Basically this guy has put 50,000 light bulbs which change colour in front of Uluru and apparently Qantas air freighted them all in without breaking one (they are the sponsor so its the least they could do). Bubble wrapping them must have been a bugger though. I have to admit it's pretty spectacular but tough to get photos of. After a quick breakfast we filled up the water and headed to Kings Canyon (the Tigers loss a distant memory). I decided to treat Becs and we stayed at the Kings Canyon Resort and it was a lovely piece of grass. We quickly set up the tent and then headed out to the canyon. We did the rim walk which was fantastic, but I have to admit that it was heavy going especially the first few hundred metres which are practically vertical. After the walk we went back to the Resort and in another fit of largesse we had dinner in the bistro. As we left out tent a passing dingo fossicked through all our belongings in case we'd left any food. Luckily I had the car keys. They had a great guy playing guitar (Brett) who was from Blacktown. The best thing about Brett (although he did play some Stones) was that he bought Dirty Dicks which was a North Shore icon and takes the show out to regional centres (which clearly don't have a lot of entertainment. Apparently he was a minstrel in the show. The other funny thing was that the French couple in front of us's Visa card wouldn't work. Stuff like that happening to French people is always funny. that night the navigator made her most drastic navigational change and decided we should spend a night in the west MacDonnell ranges. Many of you know that I have a detailed spreadsheet with fuel stops, kms between stops, cumulative kms, stay the night spots. I was apprehensive about how this deviation would work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb