Larapinta Trail


Advertisement
Published: October 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

smiley group photosmiley group photosmiley group photo

DAY 1 - Start of the Larapinta Trail from Telegraph Station to Wallaby Gap (16 km)
Having done a fair bit of trekking overseas, I thought it was about time to hoof it and see a bit of my own country for a change. The Larapinta Trail is a classic trek along the West MacDonnell Ranges out of Alice Springs; around 223km over 2-3 weeks. I signed up for a 7-day trip with World Expeditions which covered the highlights of the Trail. NT had a lot of rain earlier this year, so instead of red desert & barren rocks everything was unexpectedly lush and green. The trek was absolutely fantastic with stunning vistas, especially along the ridgelines, culminating in reaching the summit of Mount Sonder for a magnificent sunrise. The terrain was challenging and hard underfoot (dolomite rock with little topsoil), the days were hot at around 28c, and it was fabbo to bed down in a comfy swag. We were really lucky to miss several bushfires outside Alice, which eventually closed the first 6 sections of the trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Section 1Section 1
Section 1

the Larapinta Trail traces part of the Overland Telegraph Line
audreyaudrey
audrey

local elder who came for a fireside chat
Day 2 - Section 1Day 2 - Section 1
Day 2 - Section 1

From Wallaby Gap to Simpsons Gap (10 km), plus Standley Chasm Loop walk


9th October 2011
shady rest stop

Shady?
10th October 2011

love it . . .
inspires me to do more trekking in my own country too. thnking of the overland trek in Tassie.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb