Day 21 - Mataranka to Saddle Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Timber Creek
April 17th 2015
Published: April 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Eventually we dragged ourselves away from Mataranka as we still had a lot of ground to cover. Such a lovely place but we couldn't spend the rest of our days floating in a creek!

Katherine came and went (maybe another trip - we know it has a lot to offer) and we turned westwards towards the Kimberley. Almost immediately, the scenery changes and Georgi remarks on the flora and the colour and the escarpments. Yes, this is a fabulous place that we are heading to. We see escarpments and eventually Boab trees become common.

On my earlier trip to Kununurra in February, the bus had stopped at Timber Creek so that the passengers could refuel. There was a boat cruise on the Victoria River which was advertised. I asked and was told "the operators are on holidays but will be returning soon". This cruise sounded great, commencing at 4pm and returning at 7.30 (well and truly in the dark). Birds, sunsets and crocs - something for everyone. We arrived in Timber Creek just before 4pm but it was very quiet....not a good sign. We drove to the advertising billboard (which was in front of the cruise office / house)
Our first escarpmentOur first escarpmentOur first escarpment

You really have to see it to believe it.
but it looked deserted. Maybe the bus to the river had left early? We checked at the cafe and the owners were returning tomorrow to re-commence the cruises on Sunday. Bugger!

Nothing else to get excited about in Timber Creek so we decided to travel further west. We pushed on to Saddle Creek where we met Colin and Robyn Dell. Colin and Robyn are from Tassie so we swapped a few stories. They were also driving a Toyota Coaster, so we felt like we had a lot in common. Lovely people that you meet when travelling.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

More burning offMore burning off
More burning off

It has been a little hazy as for the past few days, regular burning along the roadside has been occuring
An NT icon - the Victoria River bridgeAn NT icon - the Victoria River bridge
An NT icon - the Victoria River bridge

At times, the water rises above the bridge (and gates which are behind the bus now are closed to prevent traffic from using the bridge)
Durack monumentDurack monument
Durack monument

Tribute to the NT's beef cattle industry
_DSC0581_DSC0581
_DSC0581

This was as close as we would get to a Victoria River cruise.... a walk along the Bradshaw Bridge (a defence forces training area is on the other side of the bridge). We would have gone to the other side but there was a sign saying no admittance and a guard was stationed at the other side.
Our first BoabOur first Boab
Our first Boab

A fabulous tree - and so many different shapes and sizes


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb