Gregory National Park at Timber Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Timber Creek
October 5th 2012
Published: October 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The caravan park at Timber Creek was an oasis from the somewhat hostile environment outside its fence line, heat, crocodiles the noisy fruit bats, a pungent odour ,and the intimidating locals. We stayed 2 nights.

Gregory National Park on the outskirts of Timber Creek sounded an interesting place to visit, especially the Limestone Gorge. We set out in the morning on another hot day with plenty of water and some lunch even though we expected to be back by that time. We acquired maps from the Ranger Station and set out on yet another adventure.

The road was rough with lots of corrugations and big rocks. We travelled carefully and finally came to the car park for the gorge. It was then a 2km walk up the gorge walking on a dirt path surrounded by long grass and some time walking in a rocky creek bed. It was very hot and there was little shade in which to gain some relief from the blazing sun.

It was only 11:30 when we reached the end but we decided to eat our lunch in the shade next to the river. Flies were our uninvited guests and no doubt a crocodile or two lurked in the water.

Lunch over we headed back towards the car, giving the side walk to the stromolites a miss. The 4wd air-con was extremely welcome. The road home always seems to go a little faster, and this drive was no exception with Greg again driving slow and carefully to avoid the ever present rocks. With just a few kilometres to go until the bitumen the inevitable happened. A nasty rock took its revenge and we had a totally shredded rear tyre. So on this dusty, rocky road we had to change a tyre and then cover the last few km hoping not to repeat this incident.

Safely back in town we unsuccessfully attempted to find a replacement tyre. Our only option was to make it to Kununurra and hope we could find one there.

Following a restless night in which the town power went off three times, we set off early in the morning for Kununurra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



8th October 2012

tyre
Oh no! We are speachless............ Thinking of you often You are invited to Brian's retirement brunch on 4th November - you'll have to have an on the road celebration for him! x Sheila & Brian

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb