Bored of the flies


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » King's Canyon
October 2nd 2006
Published: October 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The journey from Kata Tjuta to King's Canyon saw the earth turning redder, and the trees growing more profusely. Though the King's Canyon resort is run by the same company that runs Yulara (that kinship being evident in the $39 dorm price), the facilities were a mixed bag, with the dorm containing a TV and fridge, and the bed being a proper bed rather than a bunk, but the toilet block smelling strongly of urine. The bed was also on some casters with a low coefficient of friction relative to the floor - my tossing and turning during the night propelled me half-way across the room by dawn.

Another early rise saw me girding my loins for the classic 6km King's Canyon rim walk, in the company of a couple of tour groups. The fly situation was as grim as I've encountered. The initial climb was the hardest part of the walk, with the best moments being first seeing, and then peering over, the sheer south wall at the head of the canyon. A descent into a side canyon brought me into the Garden of Eden, a lush area filled with prehistoric plants called cycads and much other greenery, and the climb out the other side opened onto the Lost City, named because the rock structures have the appearance of an abandoned civilization.

Again, overcast weather thwarted my photo attempts, and it caused me no little exasperation that the latter half of my drive back to Alice was conducted in bright sunshine.




Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

King's CanyonKing's Canyon
King's Canyon

Just a few more inches, mate ...
King's CanyonKing's Canyon
King's Canyon

As seen from King's Canyon Resort
King's CanyonKing's Canyon
King's Canyon

Garden of Eden


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb