The Rock Tour - Day 1


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

EarlyEarlyEarly

Packed and ready to go!
Kevin and I were both so excited to finally be going on our Outback adventure! The Outback is just so quintessentially Australian, and no trip to Oz would be complete without a trip into the Red Centre. So, we booked a three-day, two-night trip called “The Rock Tour”.

Day 1: We were picked up outside our hostel bright and early, 6am! Our tour guide was a really nice guy named Greg, and he picked us up in a 22-seater van. After picking up the rest of our group, we began the long drive to King’s Canyon.

Our group kept occupied during the drive to the canyon by: listening to Greg talk about the history of the region, including the culture of the local Aboriginal peoples, and getting to know each other by playing icebreaker games and chatting amongst ourselves. We had quite a diverse tour group made up by people from all around the globe: 5 Canadians, 1 American, 3 Dutch, 2 Danes, 2 Brits and 2 Aussies. On the drive, we passed one dingo (a wild dog) and five beautiful wild horses!

We finally arrived at King’s Canyon around 1pm. After a quick lunch, we took a
DriveDriveDrive

The long road ahead.
6km walk around the Canyon. The views were incredible!! It started with a steep climb to the top (which was good to measure your physical endurance). By having the hardest part at the beginning, it avoided people getting too far into the walk and having to turn around due to the difficulty. The walk took about 3 hours in the blazing sun. Exhausting, but completely worth it!

After the walk, we were back on the road, heading to our site where we would be spending the night. We saw more wildlife, including three beautiful white cockatoos and a baby Eastern Brown Snake on the road. This snake is very venomous. Greg held it up on a stick for us to see. Around 8pm, after stopping by the side of the road to get fire wood, we stopped at Curtain Springs to get some beer (because a night in the Outback would not be complete without some beer!). Curtain Springs is a cattle station, home to only 14 people, and is the size of The Netherlands!!

After arriving at our campsite (which was just an open area off the side of the highway, no toilets or anything), we all
StretchStretchStretch

The group stretching part way through a long drive.
worked together to build a huge bonfire and cook dinner. We all made our own damper rolls over the fire (basically hot bread rolls) and ate veggies and beef on pasta. Delicious! Then, we rolled out our swags (tough, canvas sleeping bag-type things) and slept under the starry night. It may not have been all that late, but you need a good night’s sleep when you’re getting up at sunrise!

Hillary (and Kevin)


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ShoesShoes
Shoes

Being prepared means having the right equipment.
WaterWater
Water

We were instructed to carry 4 liters of water per person for the hikes. Lucky for me I had this, so I didn't need to carry any awkward bottles!
ReadyReady
Ready

Ready for some picture taking!
King's Canyon - 01King's Canyon - 01
King's Canyon - 01

Let's get this hike started!
Tilley HatTilley Hat
Tilley Hat

Borrowing my dad's hat, which came in handy with all this sun.
MapMap
Map

A little history.
King's Canyon - 02King's Canyon - 02
King's Canyon - 02

Nothing like starting with the hardest part.
DistanceDistance
Distance

Always handy to know what you're getting yourself into.
BreakBreak
Break

Not even to the top and we already had to refuel.
King's Canyon - 03King's Canyon - 03
King's Canyon - 03

Great views into the distance.
King's Canyon - 04King's Canyon - 04
King's Canyon - 04

Look ma, no safety bars!
King's Canyon - 05King's Canyon - 05
King's Canyon - 05

Main view of the canyon.
EdgeEdge
Edge

Hillary showing off how close she could get to the edge.
CloseupCloseup
Closeup

Look, other travelers!
Pulled BackPulled Back
Pulled Back

From further away, their simple hike looks quite dangerous.
King's Canyon - 06King's Canyon - 06
King's Canyon - 06

It's amazing how smooth some of these walls look.
King's Canyon - 07King's Canyon - 07
King's Canyon - 07

"What was that? Take another step backwards?!"
King's Canyon - 08King's Canyon - 08
King's Canyon - 08

There used to be water here?!


Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 74; dbt: 0.2146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb