Kakadu and Katherine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
August 4th 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I wrote out an entry this morning, but was distracted by the wallabys that were outside the window less than 10 feet away, so when I went to take a photo, I did something to the computer!

We spent the last two nights in Kakadu National Park where we saw wallabys hopping around the resort, birds, and cane toads. Last night Sam and I went to use the phone and we heard what sounded like a party, but then we figured out it was dingos howling. When we started to hear them howling across the road from the phones, we decided to head back to our room!

Yesterday morning we took a 30 minute flight over Kakadu. There was a lot of damage to the trees because a category 5 hurricane, Monica, hit the area in April. It was a good flight and we had a good view of the South Alligator river and then later that day took a boat cruise on the East Alligator River. The boats were very low to the water, we could reach out and touch the water, but didn't beause we saw many crocs on our cruise.

today we spent the day at edith falls where we were able to relax and swim. A few of us took a hike to a different waterfall and most of us swam in a bigger area that didn't require a hike. I was nervous some students wouldn't swim since we saw warning signs for crocs and then passed a brwon snake slithering in the rocks...but i think everyone got in. this group has been great about trying everything. I think everyone tried the baramundi fish tonight at dinner and most of them have tried Vegimite and will only buy chips or treats that aren't found in the US. They are really getting the most of their experience here, which is great.

We have our homestay soon, and I think all of the students will be able to go to school. They are all looking forward to it, and I am sure it will be a highlight of the trip.

Tomorrow we have a long day on the coach, but we have an Aborigonal experience in the morning that should be really good. We have seen the Aborigonies around towns we have been in, but still don't know much about them. that will change tomorrow.

I hope to write more soon! Oh, and don't mind my horrible spelling! I can't figure out how to spell check on here!


Advertisement



4th August 2006

What a journey!
Thanks for the updates Nichole. We have heard from our daughter, Taylor, a few times. She is having an "amazing" time and is really enjoying being in the Northern Territory. Things are much more remote there and she really feels now like she is in Australia. She is enjoying everything and everyone in the group, they have all been great. I can't wait to see photos of all the adventures they have experienced!
4th August 2006

I'm Sharon, Katrina's mom. I finally spoke to her this morning. They are having a great time. She is loving lots of the Australian treats and is bringing some home for us to try. A good time to call is around 8 AM our time. They are in their rooms for the night by then (10:30 PM Australia time). If you haven't heard from your child, mine is having trouble using the calling card. Even though it is supposed to be for international use, it is very hard to connect.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb