60th Birthday Blog


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
June 21st 2011
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

60th Birthday Dinner60th Birthday Dinner60th Birthday Dinner

Family get together on 3rd June.
Greetings All
Well our revisit of Broome for my 60th birthday turned out to be a very special time. My sister Pat and her husband Dave flew out from UK and my son and his wife drove up from Karratha. I had a lovely birthday dinner at the Cable Beach Resort looking out over a classic Broome sunset. I had lots of cards, gifts, phone calls and messages from all my friends and family. Thanks again to you all.

The following day saw Dave, Pete and myself on a fishing trip, hoping to catch a Barra or two. We were driven out to the Fitzroy River and spent 6hrs dangling our lures in the water.
Pete caught a magic 97cm Barra and can you believe that it was too big to keep!! so it was kissed and put back. I had a battle with two huge beasts, which got away and Dave caught someone else’s snagged lure. The excitement when these fish bite is something to be experienced. We had a great day and our guide, Jeff did a great job.

Sunday was spent on a trip to Willy Creek Pearl Farm, where my sister Pat got to drive
Pete and LauraPete and LauraPete and Laura

Relaxing after a nice meal.
the Prado along a heavily corrugated red dirt road. Davo also had a spell at the wheel. We went to the Broome outdoor cinema in the evening to see “Bran Nue Dae” and Pat and Dave got a bit of a shock when an incoming Qantas jet flew very low over the screen on its landing approach.

Pete and Laura left for home early on Monday in order that Pete could get back for footy training.

We travelled to 80 Mile Beach on Thursday for four nights, expecting to catch a haul of Threadfin Salmon, but once again they eluded us. Pat and Dave enjoyed the vastness of the area, spending lots of time collecting shells off the beach.

Once again we attracted a strong headwind on our return from 80 Mile Beach, so the fuel gauge was quite animated!! What was meant to be Pat and Dave’s last night saw them climb on board the camels for a sunset ride. We got some great snaps of them bobbing about.

Next morning, while Pat was finishing off her packing, she caught a news item relating to airline delays due to a volcanic ash cloud, approaching Perth. It turned out that their flight was cancelled and their flight was re scheduled for Friday night. After many phone calls and emails they managed to also re schedule their connecting international flight to London. What a terrible place to be stranded for two more days?? We were even lucky enough to see the "Staircase To The Moon" the night before they left. They didn’t see a cloud for 14 days!! We had a great time with them and hope they enjoyed their holiday in the “Outback”.

We are currently in Katherine again, for the 3rd time, prior to heading towards Cairns.

Cheers

John & Rose



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

80 Mile Beach 180 Mile Beach 1
80 Mile Beach 1

Peaceful get together on the endless beach
Lonesome FishermanLonesome Fisherman
Lonesome Fisherman

Dave fishing on into the night in hope of an elusive fish!
Broome Camel RideBroome Camel Ride
Broome Camel Ride

Dave got the hump this night!!
"Slowly Neddy""Slowly Neddy"
"Slowly Neddy"

Pat nervously preparing to dismount the camel.
Staircase To The MoonStaircase To The Moon
Staircase To The Moon

How lucky were Pat and Dave to witness this little gem?
Farewell Pat & DaveFarewell Pat & Dave
Farewell Pat & Dave

The morning of Pat and Dave's departure.
Me and my SisMe and my Sis
Me and my Sis

Last night with a classic Broome sunset behind.


27th June 2011

We had a great time with you both and it was a pleasure to share your birthday with you. We made and shared some great memories with you both, even got to have 2 extra days! thanks again. Love Pat & Dave xxx
17th July 2011

B'day
Thanks both - miss you heaps.

Tot: 1.467s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 1.4302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb