Monday Nov 20, 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
November 20th 2017
Published: November 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tenant CreekTenant CreekTenant Creek

Cool display.
Not all bus trips are boring. Our trip from Alice Spring to Katherine was a total of 17 hours, including a 1 1/2 hour stop at 4:30 in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, a small town called Tenant Creek. We have been very surprised at the Aboriginee situation here, including this place. Many Aboriginee children hang out where the Greyhound bus stopped (really, at this time of night?), supposedly for the purpose of sneaking onto the bus to steal things. Our bus driver keeps close guard at the door and locks up tight when everyone is off, quite sad actually. We will arrive in Katherine at noon and pick up a rental car. There is no other transportation to get to Katherine Gorge. Hopefully Ferdy is awake enough to drive on the left hand side of the road and not too hung over from all the drinking in Alice Springs (lol).

In Tenant Creek we changed bus drivers and our new guy was a former tour guide and a real nature and Outback buff. He told us more than we can ever remember, but that is plenty of justification for sitting at the front of
Tenan Creek RoadhouseTenan Creek RoadhouseTenan Creek Roadhouse

Life in the Outback is down to earth!
the bus. Talking about seating, we have noticed that Aboriginees still sit at the back of the bus. Not sure if this is out of habit or a standard?

Words of wisdom from this fella, in reference to hm.... our age compatriots in Australia who want to travel. They’re called Grey Nomads with a motto of “adventure before dementia”. Others call them SAD’s, for “see Australia And Die”. Not so soon buddy!

On an earlier reference to the length of road trains, they’re not supposed to be longer than 53.5 meters with a maximum of 4 trailers. That would make them 58-wheelers for those interested (4 trailers with three axels of 4 wheels plus the tractor with 10 wheels). Just so you know. However, we saw one that actually had five trailers (a 70-wheeler), so who’s right here?

We also got lessons in what types of gum trees are present in the desert, and how many different species of termites build these 2-3 meter tall mounds and where they live. We also saw several eagles and a desert turkey, the latter almost wiped out by settlers because they taste so good. They look more like a Shore
Sulphur Crested CockatooSulphur Crested CockatooSulphur Crested Cockatoo

This guy presented himself to us at the Katherine Gorge boat launch.
bird with skinny legs and the size of a small heron. They’re now protected and are making a come-back.

After picking up our rental from Thrifty, we headed for our 2-hour 2-gorge Katherine Gorge tour. More walking in temperatures exceeding 42C. Spectacular but the heat is hard on the body. Yes, we know, you guys in Canada got snow and are not likely to feel sorry for us!

While Marion is having a beauty sleep, Ferdy is at the pool with a well deserved Great Northern beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

LarrimahLarrimah
Larrimah

All of 9 people live here, each trying to coax tourists to buy stuff. And, they all hate each other says our bus driver.


21st November 2017

spectacular views
The gorges are gorgeous! Tee hee! You really have seen places in Australia that the normal tourist doesn't get to see. You were wise to spend extended time on this vacation, but you might need a vacation from your vacation when you get home! Louise

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb