Katherine Gorge to Darwin


Advertisement
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This morning we got up and hired canoes to head up Katherine Gorge. It was quite hard work, but the views were amazing. Heather and I were in one canoe, and Max and Jannick were in the other. The others did the hike instead of canoeing. We finally arrived at the little inlet where we could get out of the canoes (all the earlier spots were taken by crocodiles who had nests on the beaches) and went swimming. It was really nice to cool off after the hard work it took to get there. From there it was back to camp for lunch, then pack up and head further north to Darwin. We stopped at Edith Falls on the way for a swim, where there were fish that nibbled all the dead skin off your feet. Which was great until a slightly bigger fish decided to nibble a bit hard and draw blood. Great! So when we arrived in Darwin the four of us were all staying at the YHA, so showered and met up again to head out for dinner. It was pretty warm in Darwin, so we wandered around for a bit but all had to get up early so were back at the hostel by 10pm. I said goodbye to Heather because she was flying back to Melbourne the next morning. The boys pick up a rental car tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll catch up with them tomorrow sometime after my tour of Litchfield National Park.

Day 6 : Katherine Gorge to Darwin
The gorge is all yours this morning, with a half day to spend canoeing or cruising (at own expense and seasonal) the spectacular waters. Want to see more? Jump aboard a helicopter flight (at own expense) which will take you high above the vast gorge system. We’ll head to Darwin after a stop at idyllic Edith Falls. (BL)



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Katherine GorgeKatherine Gorge
Katherine Gorge

Me and Jannick having a swim
Katherine GorgeKatherine Gorge
Katherine Gorge

Max and Jannick in their canoe


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb