19 - 20 June 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
June 20th 2012
Published: September 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday morning saw us head to Walker Creek and hike alongside the Creek where there were individual campsites available close to the water's edge. Another stunning trek that culminated with a refreshing mid-morning swim.

From there we arrived at The Cascades and set off on a reasonably testing 3 km hike. It continues to be the case that the harder it is to get somewhere the better the destination is. The Cascades, as the name indicates, are a series of waterfalls and pools that weave their way down a hillside covered in thick tropical vegetation.........stunning. There were so many individuals pools to swim in that the few people we saw along the way had their own exclusive bit of paradise. I jumped at the opportunity to get in the water again and cool off under a mini waterfall trickling down from upstream.

The following morning we slowly packed up and discussed how terrific Litchfield had been and that Kakadu would have to turn it on to top this particular National Park. On the way out of Litchfield we stopped off to see Buley Rockhole and the unique Magnetic Termite Mounds which are truly a wonder of nature. We then started the drive into Darwin which was quite exciting as we had both never been to the capital and had heard only great things.

About an hour out we stopped off at the Berry Springs Nature Reserve and took a swim in the naturally heated pools. It put some life back into us and after eating we drove the final part of the way to Darwin. There was not that much left of the day so we would have to wait until tomorrow to start working out the lay of the land. We found a caravan park for the night but wished we had done our research on this one first. The fee was exorbitant and the facilities far below average. We would soon learn that caravan parks actually in the city limits are not the place to stay.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb