More of Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
July 19th 2012
Published: July 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

19thJuly 2012



We started the day with a visit to the Aviation Museum (with Mum, Dad, Richard and Marion). Very impressive to see a B52 there – they are pretty large planes. Very interesting displays of a wide range of aviation history.



We then went our separate ways, as we had some errands to do (banking, some new boots for me as mine have given up the ghost after many years, some books for Alex and Kyle). We discovered Darwin sells cask wine, which we have not seen retailing for some time now. As we don’t think it is for sale in much of the Territory we decided we might buy two. I don't know what we were thinking, really. For our own protection, the territory laws only allow us to buy one. We could have bought a few bottles of wine or spirits as well (much better for the liver, not having that cardboard around it) but only one cask. We don't mind, happy that these easy to follow alcohol purchasing measures have solved alcohol related health and social problems in the territory.



We visited Fanny Bay gaol, which operated between 1883 and 1980. This was pretty interesting. I would have liked to see some information on the most common crimes people were imprisoned for, for each decade, I think that would be very interesting as well. We also drove through East Point Reserve, which has lovely ocean views.



In the evening (with Mum, Dad, Richard & Marion) we joined a big mob of people going to the Mindil Beach Markets. We met up with my cousin Bek and her children (who live near here), had some dinner and browsed the markets.



When we got back to the caravan park, we noticed a fire in the bush adjacent to the park. Fire trucks were on site. It was pretty close to the park, and I was a bit nervous about it, but it died down a bit at about 11pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb