Our Darwin odyssey


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
June 12th 2012
Published: June 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We don't know how we did it, but we did tear outselves away from the easy, laid back tropical lifestyle that is Darwin and the Top End and are back in our little motor home once more.

We made the most of our few days in Darwin .. our hotel room seemed very spacious after life on board the train (and the motor home) so we revelled in room service, large tv, even larger bed, and all the trappings of a good city hotel.

We took a half day tour of the city - a hire car was proving to be hard to find with the escaping winter crowd and also because of the long weekend. We enjoyed the tour very much, sitting upstairs in an open bus (with awning to keep the sun off our heads) which was cool and gave good views. Plus we had a bright and very informative driver who told us so much of Darwin's past and present.

Even though we've been to Darwin several times, it was good to be taken around the city streets, to their parliament house and government house, to views over the harbour, down to the waterfront and wave pool and then out to their great museum. We'd been through that before but it was worth a second look - there's a good section on aboriginal art and a good maritime exhibition, creatures that can kill on land and sea (which makes you wonder should you even venture outside your door) and an excellent section on cyclone Tracy which all but wiped out Darwin in 1974.

The tour finished at Mindil Beach where the famous evening markets were being held. This is a favourite, usually interrupted by most walking over to the beach to view the huge red sun sinking over the ocean, then back to the market to sample some of the interesting food to eat .. Darwin is a very multicultural city and food from so many countries is cooked and for sale there.

I however spoiled things by stepping on a branch or stick and rolling my bad ankle so an hour or so of hobbling made me anxious to call it a day and get back to the comfort and luxury of our hotel room. So ended our first day in Darwin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The dry Todd River, Alice SpringThe dry Todd River, Alice Spring
The dry Todd River, Alice Spring

A regatta is held on the dry river each year when crew run inside bottomless boats. It had to be cancelled for the first time last year when the Todd River was full of water.
Cullen Bay, DarwinCullen Bay, Darwin
Cullen Bay, Darwin

complete with bronze croc


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb