big trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
June 29th 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well it was with great reluctance that we left Broome as it was so easy to enjoy the beautiful beach for a swim every day and the dogs thought it was lovely but we had to push on.We had a couple of nights off road which we are becoming quite efficient at and we then arrived in Kununurra.We had booked in at a lovely caravan park on the lily lagoon but after having to wait until the following morning to get on to a powered site and then a possible sighting of a snake swimming in the lake we decided to swap to the local showgrounds who have made good use of their enormous grounds for people to stay with their caravans.Especially good for big rigs.We were really happy as they said that the dogs could run free on the enormous football oval which of course they thought was great with no restrictions.The other amazing thing in this day and age was that the laundry facilities were free.Needless to say we had quite a bit of washing to do as dogs beds and also dogs do get very grubby when you camp off road.Another bonus for the guys was that on the Saturday there was a footy match which they quite enjoyed.They also went to the local speedway which also was very good apparently
We went out to Wyndham mainly to see the five rivers lookout which is pretty spectacular and gives you some idea of how much water is in this remote part of our country surely it is long past the time when someone got serious about piping water from here to Perth and a lot of other cities in Western Australia.Wyndham itself is quite a sad town really and needs some sprucing up but it has a large wharf which I believe is very busy.Kununurra is a very busy place and of course we had to go out to the famous Ivanhoe Crossing.We did not attempt to cross ourselves but did see a couple of vehicles go over and back.I would be scared of the vehicle skidding off and ending up as a crocs breakfast.Nasty creatures!!
We took it in turns to dog sit while the humans took a day trip out to the Ord river dam and Lake Argyle.Well that is amazing.If I thought there was a lot of water in the five rivers that has nothing on what is in the dam.It was quite a sight and this is not the wet season.The dam wall is amazing and was constructed with no concrete at all and for a really modest cost at that time.It was completed in 1971.The lake itself covers over 1000 sq kms and has an enormous population of crocodiles around 250000 give or take a few.The only redeeming feature is that they are freshwater ones but still very nasty.The lake is also home to countless fish and about one third of Australia's bird population.The surrounding countryside as you drive out and back is very spectacular and has to be seen to be appreciated.
We finally left Kununurra and set off for the next destination which was Darwin.We had two nights out on the road again and boy was it dusty as was evident by the state of the dogs.Never mind it is not a problem bathing them as the weather is so hot we just use cold water.We had chosen a park outside of Darwin and it is very nice if a little far out but we got settled in and it was bath dogs day and springclean the vans again to get rid of some dust.The people that run the park (Tumbling Waters) Jenny and Darren are very nice and extremely hard working.They put on a film twice a week out on the lawn and they also have crocodile feeding.Have passed on that one and settled for seeing them laying in the sun in their compound as you go in and out.The other nasty up here of course is the cane toad.What can you say about them,they are ugly and poisonous and spreading too quickly for anyone to control.We all cheer when we see a dead one on the road which I guess is not a nice attitude but then they are not at all nice.
We decided to put the dogs into kennels so the we could go to the national parks and the famous Mindil markets.Our first day out was to Litchfield Park where we saw the waterfalls and again spectacular scenery.We then did a day trip out to Kakadu and on the way we visited Fogg Dam.What an amazing selection of birds there.All sorts and sizes of storks and herons and geese and ducks.A birdwatchers paradise.We then drove into Jabiru and went into the famous crocodile hotel.It really is quite unusual but is looking a bit ancient now as it has just recently had its 25th birthday.Unfortunately at this time of the year there is a lot of burning off done I guess because there is hardly any wind so the threat of wildfires is probably not a threat and there is minimal damage to the plants and trees.Also a few mornings while we have been here we have woken to thick mist and I mean thick.This morning it was dripping from the trees like rain and anything left outside is very very damp so I guess that also helps keep the fires under control.
We had a night at a seafood and steak restaurant in Darwin that someone had recommended so we celebrated Marilyn and Trevor's anniversary.A really good excuse for a good meal.We also had a morning in the big shopping centre in town before making our way to Mindil beach for the night markets.The variety of foods has to be seen to be believed so we sampled a few different things of course and then went on to the beach itself to see the sunset.Hundreds of people just there to photograph the sunset and I guess eat at the market as we did.We very wearily made our way back having been on our feet most of the day.Times like this you would like to shed about ten years at least.
Our next visit was down toward the coast to a place called Wagait beach where we finally found the tavern and had a nice lunch looking out toward Darwin over a narrow stretch of water.We decided to take the ferry across and then get a bus to have a look at some of the suburbs of Darwin.It was a very nice crossing and to our pleasant surprise we had free transport on the buses as we are all seniors of course .I guess that negates the losing ten years bit.We were very surprised at how helpful and chatty the staff at the bus terminal and the bus drivers were.Doesn't always happen that way.So we had a couple of rides around stopped off for a drink and then took the ferry back across.Quite a nice day..
We also on one of the days visited the Aviation museum that houses among anther things an enormous B 52 plane.Of course Darwin has a lot of history from the war so there is plenty to read about and look at.
Saturday dawned and it was pick up the dogs day.They were of course very pleased to see us but it was bath time again as they were a bit smelly.
So the last couple of days have been doing not a lot days as we are moving on on Wednesday morning down to Katherine where we will enjoy soaking in the hot springs.Actually while the dogs were away we took ourselves just down the road to Berry Springs where we indulged in a bit of a splash in the springs there.Very pleasant in the heat but unfortunately you soon warm up again.It would be nice to get some more comments if you are finding this interesting.Also if you click on the photos they will enlarge.I know its cold and wet back there but if I could send you some sun I would but then we need the rain .Sorry!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



3rd July 2009

Stop rubbing it in!
Looks like you are enjoying yourselves! The scenery, the weather and NO WORK! We are all green with envy.
4th July 2009

Trip
Glad to see you are enjoying yourselves, you seem to be moving pretty quickly so enjoy the warmth.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb