Letter #4 from downunder


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi there
Just a few notes to all before I disappear for another week in the bush of north east Australia
to bring you up to date - you know should I disappear or become a croc meal etc!!??
Apr 4- first thing after a wonderful breakfast of toast- first time electricity for a couple of days we are off on a 2 hr cruise of the Katheryn River - beautiful scenery and had a swim under a waterfall but by the time we had climbed back to the boat - just a hot as ever - poor Jane is very miserable as she minds the heat to start with - she is being very good about it but you can tell it is not a fun part of the trip for her. We also got some good views of cave art that is about 8000 years old - my question is how did they get it so far up the cliffs!!
We spent the afternoon in Katheryn and then off to Lithfield park where we were to swim under Wango waterfall but it was closed - too much of a danger of crocs after the flooding!! so I didn't argue - the weather is hot, we are away from the toilet, there are cold showers but no lights so you must take your flashlight each time to check for crocs, spiders,snakes and frogs - see how the list is getting longer - we are hanging on as tomorrow air conditioning in Darwin.

After a deliciiious meal of steak and potatoes - first since the trip started - we sat and yakked as it is the Frenchies and Dan and Mama mias last nite on the trek - some of us are happy - some are not- enough said!! it is so hot the Carla and I climb up on the top of the trailer that we haul our stuff in behind the bus and try to sleep - too humid so we talk and watch the others try to find pee places in the dark while we laugh -it starts to rain so we have to return to the tents where I sleep maybe 2 hrs between trips to the loo - no I am not sleeping in the loo - yet!!!
the next morning, Adam says that when he was sleeping outside on the ground - which he frequently does- a snake crawled over him and he had to lie still and wait - like he told us while this happened but...all he wanted to do was scream like a girl - we nurses told him how proud we were of him and there was a big laugh but.............no more sleeping outside on the ground for this girl unless I can be elevated and have a good flashlight!!

apr 5 - off to a waterfall for a swim - evreyone is hot and grouchy and the tents come down in record time - we are like a bunch of children who are promised a treat! Florence Falls is all that Adam promised and we are elated - swim in the water for over an hr until he hauls us out and we are off to Darwin - everyone is in a much better mood!
When we arrive, we gt our wash done in 2 hrs and I am in trouble - somehow 2 of Janes bras are not the same color they were - she is very good about it - obviously a true friend but I feel badly - just what she needed in this weather!! we have a pool, sauna, air conditioning, beds and hot showers - it is like christmas - I rush out to get a few sounviniers as we find out that tomorrow - our free day in Darwin, it is Good Friday and nothing is open - I think Everett called Adam to arrange this so I won't spend so much money - when I asked - all Adam would say is that he didn't the name of the caller - funny!! anyway, no interesting stuff here but I did get hair dye and jane and I did the dead before we went out for supper at Shenanigans to celebrate the
day and Frenchies being on the tour!! for some reason Andrew and Francis did not attend and of course mama mia was nowhere to be found in case there was work- but as we were sitting there - we see her going off down the street with 2 men - possible she will not catch her 1 am flight!!!! HAd a great time - the fish is wonderful here - it is fresh today and you can tell!!
Jane and I got some Easter Eggs for the kids today for Sun so it will be a little like Easter in the wildnerness!!
Fri- Apr 6 - day of leisure - ddn't wake up until 1030 am - slept 12 hrs straight - the air conditioning is not great but it is better than nothing - I slept on the floor directly under it- I didn't hear Scott or Jane leave - we went for a short walk but it was too hot so we spent the day by the pool with a beer and a book and some of the new people we met - it was very relaxing!! At 5pm we took a sunset cruise on Darwin bay and just chilled out - then I went off to bed at 9 pm and didn't hear the others come in again!!
Sat am we are off again - so have a great week everyone as I plan to also - after all what else can happen - opps maybe not a great statement but what the heck I am on vacation!!
love aussie anne
love aussie anne



Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb