Yulara


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Ayers Rock
June 16th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.2848, 131.077

It was a short trip of 300+ km today and we arrived to the caravan park with a queue of many waiting to book in. We set up camp and had some lunch as most days we seem to miss this step while driving. Tonight we have booked a Field of Light tour. This is a field of 50,000 LED lights set out in front of Ularu. We were taken there on a huge bus and led to the top of a hill overlooking the field. While waiting for sunset we were fed canapes and drinks. I wanted the party pies and pasties but we got kangaroo, crocodile, prawns and beetroot nibbles. Should have had tea at 4 pm today!! Once the sun set the lights (solar powered) started to come on. WOW what a sight. We struggled with our cameras in the dark but managed to get a few decent shots that don't do justice to the sight. We could wander among the lights for a couple of hours and it did take this long. The guide said it covered 7 AFL footy ovals. The lights are still to be here until March 2018.

Saturday saw Nat as the only taker to try to climb the rock. He set off early only to find the climb was closed due to winds...fairly calm today. They just don't want people to climb anymore. After lunch we headed out to the rock as we had booked a tour to do the 9.4km base by Segways. Of course I got shoved in front as the first to practice and I felt like a 2 year old with my knee pads, elbow pads and helmet on trying to go around this dinky course with bumps and dips. No brakes.....aaargh. After everyone had a trial and there were 13 of us, we set off around the rock. Thank goodness we had some stops for pics as we were all stuffed by the time we got back. Only 2 had falls and none of them were us.



Back at camp we decided to have a feast for tea as the canapes did not cut it the night before....so roast was cooked by all and scoffed down in record time. Tomorrow we are off to Kulgera on our way to Coober Pedy. See you then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb