Majestic mountains and wildflowers.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Ayers Rock
September 9th 2011
Published: September 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Northern Territory BorderNorthern Territory BorderNorthern Territory Border

Frank at the South Australian/Northern Territory Border. It was freezing!
It was a big day for us today. We drove from Marla to the Ayers Rock Resort at Yulara. Not an especially long drive, about five hundred kilometres, more that it was part of a dream fulfilled. Not long after we turned onto the Lasseter Highway the magic happened. The landscape became quite beautiful. Soft grass tussocks gently swaying in the breeze, wattles and grevilleas in flower everywhere, and wildflowers of many colours decorated the red sand. As we came around one bend we were struck by the beauty of a huge monolith in the distance. Not Ularu as we originally thought, but Mount Connor. The beauty of Ularu was not to be seen for at least another fifty kilometres. And when did see it, we were in awe. Ayers Rock is much more beautiful in reality than in pictures.
After setting up camp and a quick late lunch at about four o’clock, (yes we have a problem time keeping), we left to join the hordes of photographers waiting to capture the majesty of Ularu at sunset. There are two organised viewing areas, one for bus tour groups and the other for cars. I think this must be relatively new, because
Mount ConnorMount ConnorMount Connor

When we first saw Mt Connor we thought it was Ularu. A very impressive rock, but not THE rock.
I have seen many pictures of the rock with people in the foreground. Now everybody stays behind a barrier and you don’t get strangers in your shots. Prior to arriving at the viewing area, we stopped to climb a hill to take photos from a different angle. We will return there tomorrow evening to take our sunset shots, because it seems to be a better location. On the trek up the hill we made a discovery. Those lovely soft grass tussocks are like razor blades on sandalled feet. I think boots might be more appropriate in future.
Everything is expensive in this part of the world, as one would expect due to freight costs. However, I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would have to pay $6.50 for a cup of coffee! At the same roadhouse, we filled the car and both jerry cans. When Frank went to pay, the cashier wanted to charge him for gas as well. Seems somebody shot through without paying. They were probably scared by the cost.
Tomorrow morning it will be The Olgas at sunrise.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

UlaruUlaru
Ularu

This photo of Ularu was taken on the way to the designated sunset viewing area.
The Nomads at UlaruThe Nomads at Ularu
The Nomads at Ularu

Lovely. And Ularu is pretty spectacular too!


10th September 2011

DC Drives
This kind of blog always useful for blog readers, it helps people during research. your post is one of the same for blog readers.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb