Northern Territory - Uluru 9/11/10


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Ayers Rock
November 9th 2010
Published: November 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

What an enormous day.

Left Coober Pedy early and headed north, where it became greener and greener. Stock could be seen on either side of the road and water lay by the road. River beds were dry but the trees were big and the countryside just became lusher and lusher the further we were away from Coober Pedy.


Arrived in Marla, the supposed geographical centre of Australia and were amazed to find an oasis - lawn everywhere with sprinklers going and 'The Sydney Morning Herald'!!



Left South Australia and entered the Northern Territory and it is 130kms/hr speed limit - thank you. This place is fantastic, beautiful! Not at all what we expected and of course this is due to all the rain that has fallen recently. Flowers, birds everywhere.



Decided to spoil ourselves today as we remember Grandma and so we are staying at a pretty nice place in Uluru. Had a swim in the afternoon - clear sky, 34 degrees and the rock looks amazing. I think it looks like or gives me the feeling of being an old tired man, Lachlan thinks it is Australia's heart and Xavier thinks it looks like a rock. You could climb the rock if you desperately want to but it is incredibly steep and the aboriginal people ask that you don't. The rock is not smooth but rugged in some places with great gorges lining the edges and deep caves.



With a bottle of wine, cheese, biscuits, dip and water!! we headed out to watch the reflection of the sunset on the rock. The colours moved from absolutely fluorescent ochre to dark burnt orange. It was peaceful being beside such an ancient monolith.



Headed back to the pool which is open until 11pm!! Will go on a guided walk tomorrow at 8am.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The Lorax was here!!The Lorax was here!!
The Lorax was here!!

Truffulo Trees??? actually juvenile Desert Oaks


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb