Contrasts!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
April 21st 2009
Published: April 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Hume Highway to Goulburn is very varied- ranging from National Parks, dense forests, scrub,rolling c/side to deep ravines. Our 1st. evening in the van saw us drinking cold wine & hot chops. A great start to our 3 week tour. Next day we travelled to Wangaratta. Found accomodation difficult because of Easter w/end. We saw several dead roos, but in spite of signs, didn't see any live wombats either. Everywhere we go people are so friendly & helpful. The campsite is in amongst the trees & there are many birds. I could only hear the call of the Bell Bird, but we saw many Rosellas, Wrens, ,Cockateels & wedge tailed eagles. We're travelling along Snow Road yet another view- this time of the Strathbogie Ranges.There was evidence of forest fires either side of the Hume H/way. Met Ian & Steph in Melbourne & we went to an Aussie Rules F/ball Match. It was very exciting, fast & furious & any thing seemed to go. The opposing fans were v vociferous, but very good natured. I sat beside a Carlton supporter & John sat next to an Essenden supporter. In spite of my cheering E won. It was a very close & eventful match. The next day I & S took us to Phillip Island, to see the Penguin Parade. The p call to one another in the sea in order to form groups, thus making safety in numbers. They then have to cross the beach to get to their burrows. After alot of meeting & greeting & grooming they go to sleep. We then travelled on the Great Ocean Road to Wye River. The road does what it says on the tin! Tortuous roads - high cliffs on one side & ocean swells on the other. Many inlets & coves with just lonely birds on the beaches. On Tuesday I & S took us to Cape Otway. There was a stunning view fom the lighthouse. The lighthouse keeper said that every Friday he used to climb onto the top walkway & clean the windows so that they were free of salt. This l/h has now been replaced, much to his relief I bet. We then went on to Otway Fly which is a walk on the top of the trees! It was fascinating. On Th John took photos & the rest of us took a heli ride over the 12Apostles & the fallen down London Bridge. The weather & waves had created some stunning rock formations. You can see why it's called Shipwreck Coast.The Loch Ard formation has a tale to tell. It's composed of gorges,caves, blow holes & locks!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb