Coonabarabran, NSW and Warrumbungles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
October 11th 2008
Published: October 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SaturnSaturnSaturn

The planet Saturn on the largest Virtual Solar System drive.
Our final stop was Coonabarabran, the Astronomy Capital of Australia. The town is the closest town to the 3.9 m Anglo-Australian Telescope, the largest optical telescope in Australia, on Siding Spring Mountain. The observatory is at the centre of a magnificant Virtual Solar System drive. The virtual solar system is a scaled model of our Solar System that's 38 million times smaller than outer space. The planets are displayed on huge billboards with the size of the planets and the distance between each billboard scaled relative to the dome - the Sun - along the five main roads that lead to Coonabarabran.

Coona (as it's known to the locals) is also located near the Warrumbungle Ranges. The Warrumbungles, whose aboriginal meaning is "Crooked Mountains", create an unusual skyline. One of the rock formations, called "Breadknife", is a very thin rock structure created by an ancient volcanic fissure and subsequent erosion of the softer ground around the rock. It's a natural process that created some similar rock formations we have seen: the Giant's Causeway in Ireland and the Devil's Tower in Wyoming.

But the greatest find was Pilliga Pottery & Blue Wren Bush Cafe. This place was about 25 km
Warrumbungles Skyline Warrumbungles Skyline Warrumbungles Skyline

A view of the Warrumbungles Ranges
from Coona on a 2000 hectare property. It is remote, artie, and magical! There is something very special about Maria who turns numerous casual visitors into impromptu communities. Her son, Johannas, is a potter and farmer who also organises horse rides through the bush trails on the property. It's easy to see how you could "drop out" for a while at Pilliga.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

At Pilliga PotteryAt Pilliga Pottery
At Pilliga Pottery

Johannas teaches Mia to throw a pot


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb