A Day With The Animals...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Wollongong
June 24th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Making FriendsMaking FriendsMaking Friends

I still can't believe I'm in Oz, let alone that I stroked a Koala!
Woke up this morning in Penrith, very surreal! We went to Featherdale Wildlife Park today and it was very cool. It is a wildlife sanctuary specifically for Australian animals, so we saw all of the usual; kangaroos, koalas, emu, wallabies and wombats ect and some other bizzare ones like the Southern Carroway which is another really huge bird but its very ugly. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too friendly, but we soon forgot that once we found out that all of the animals roam free and you can pet and feed them. Not a greatly masculine thing to enjoy but it was really cool and such a surreal thing to be able to stroke a kangaroo and a koala. They are amazingly soft to touch, like a dog or cat at home and they were very comfortable around people too, just lying around on the floor or hopping up to you whenever they felt like it. I think Vicky fell in love with the wombats when we were there too, they are very cool looking, like a short fat hairy pig but much better.

After the park we headed for Wollengong taking the scenic coastal route, it was spectacular driving along
Southern CasowarySouthern CasowarySouthern Casowary

The most bizzare bird I have ever seen!

Southern Casowary
The most bizzare bird I have ever seen!and seeing the cliffs and the waves crashing against the shoreline. We also saw some amazing beaches. Wollengong was very pretty too with a lighthouse, small harbour and a long stretch of beach. Unfortunately we still suffered a shortage of overnight parking but there were even more restrictions here. Again we ended up on a residentail street with the alarm set early ready to scarper the next morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Furry FriendFurry Friend
Furry Friend

Me and a kangaroo
The WombatThe Wombat
The Wombat

Impossible to photograph because they don't keep still!


2nd July 2007

kangaroo
Will let nana see the picture of the kangaroo because I seem to remember you promised to take a picture of one - but as I said on the 'phone - I was expecting it to be dead and sprawled over the front of the campervan - not that you're not a good driver or anything!

Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb