Novatel Sydney Olympic Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Olympic Park
August 12th 2014
Published: August 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Travelling to Sydney for a conference has bought us to the Novatel Sydney Olympic Park a 4 ½ star hotel in the heart of the Sydney Olympic Park. After the first night we can easily say that it is a comfortable hotel with friendly staff and a good venue for a conference. The venue is out of town someway and has a number of restaurants and eateries in its immediate vicinity. Our room along with a number on our floor has the most amazing curtains that would be at home in an episode of “Dexter”.

A lovely evening was had with friends on our first night but we have discovered that the drinks are priced in the upper end of the market and the evening meal in the restaurant was lovely though again not very price effective. Though we did try some of the other eateries over various nights, with varying levels of success.

I was a bit surprised after signing up for 24 hours of internet and 1000MB that with 5 + hours and 697MB to go you get the minimum cost or maximum speed option. Maximum speed will cost you an extra 0.10 cents per MB. Really. You may be slowed for minimum cost. Again, really. After paying for 1000MB at speed I would expect that the arrangement to be honored and not changed with over half of the download yet to be used. Thumbs down on this part of the stay.

Whilst it is certainly a lovely venue, it is not felt that this is not a venue for the budget conscious traveller. One final issue with our stay was that we were charged a $200 gratuities amount on our final account. Upon challenge it was quickly removed. Sadly, we are aware that we were not the only guests staying that had this unwelcomed charged first placed and then removed after being queried.

On a final point when buying beer, terminology in NSW can be different to QLD and you need to remember to order a schooner rather than a pot. Though I was cheerfully informed at the bar that apparently Victorians also try to order a pot when staying here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb